This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering HP of jetski engine for a glass boat conversion

I am pondering the idea of inserting a jet ski drive train into a 1975 fiberglass Starcraft 15 foot tri hull project boat. I need a motor when the time comes anyway, and I do not know a thing about the jet ski world, never rode one, and never owned one. So I am wondering what I should be looking for in a used jet ski system with reverse. The hull is rated for a 95 hp max. I have a couple of years to do this job as my drawing board has many project on it already, but I would like to keep an eye out for a system along the way. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Crawfish Dundee; October 1st, 2017, 11:52 AM. Reason: additional thought

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
      Why?
      Why not? ;-) It's the challenge, I need a motor anyway, it would be one of a kind, and fun, and I think I can do it, I just need ideas on where to start on drive trains.

Comment

Why put a bunch of time and money into something that won't be very good even if you do a great job, let alone the value being Zero when finished.

​Take on a project that at least has some hope of being useful when completed.
        Last edited by ondarvr; October 1st, 2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Why put a bunch of time and money into something won't be very good even if you do a great job, let alone the value being Zero when finished.

​Take on a project that at least has some hope of being useful when completed.
          What does it matter to you? My time, my money, my dream, my challenge, and it will sell, there is a market for everything. And it has been done before.

Comment

Think about it.

Comment

Think about it.
              Opinion recognized Dad, I hear you. Now do you own a jet ski or ever ridden on one?

Comment

your time, your money, your folly..... personally think would be a waste of a jetski driveline and a hull as well as a few thousand dollars and a few hundred hours......
                1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ok, before shooting me down and stomping on me, have a look at this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rGqNia0q6c

And this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xkM46Izbk0

And if you can stand the stupid music in this vid. Mute it if it irritates you as it does me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Ok34JHpfA

Comment

Your boat, your time and your money - Go for it if you want to do it.

The bare tri-hull is heavier and puts more hull in the water, where a ski hull is lighter and much less drag in water. Look for a higher HP donor ski and forget about the 95 HP rating cuz the OB won't be hanging on the transom.

Offhand, can't recall any names, but you should be able to Google some site/forums with conversion projects.
                    BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                    Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I run jet boats all the time, so I'm very familiar with them, and with conversions, that's why I said choose something that will be of value when you're done with it, an old tri hull isn't a good starting point for much of anything, better old hulls can be found for free. The main reason for the jet is shallow water, which means a light hull, so aluminum is the material of choice. If this is for open water a prop is far better. PWC pumps tend to be low volume high pressure pumps, they work better with lighter hulls that can go fairly fast.

Comment

I run jet boats all the time, so I'm very familiar with them, and with conversions, that's why I said choose something that will be of value when you're done with it, an old tri hull isn't a good starting point for much of anything, better old hulls can be found for free. The main reason for the jet is shallow water, which means a light hull, so aluminum is the material of choice. If this is for open water a prop is far better. PWC pumps tend to be low volume high pressure pumps, they work better with lighter hulls that can go fairly fast.

Now thats news I can use, thanks.

Comment

A small hull like a GW invader or similar would be a good candidate for PWC power. A small custom aluminum hull would also be a good choice.
                          1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Gonna need lots of hp, 150 perhaps.
                            Consider the loss of power with the jet, and the weight of a tri hull.

Don't want you to end up with something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNluWPOpJ0

Videos all over showing conversions that barely do 15 mph.

Now this would be fun, dangerous but fun.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv35XxrxEPw

Medford, WI

Comment

Originally posted by roscoe View Post
                              Don't want you to end up with something like this:
                              He needs a calendar to track his speed. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X