Engine revs, curious loss of speed.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my 1994 Seadoo out on a long river today. When I was heading back in, I would notice that when I would press the throttle rather hard, it would rev up the engine but there were moments where I was not getting much speed, despite the amount of throttle and rpms. Trying to figure out what would cause that.

My first hunch is that something could have clogged up the impeller. Leaves, debris?

When I went back to the dock I stopped the engine. Then a minute later I walked into the water and reached my hand down by the inlet grate. I felt one or two leaves, but that was it.

I suppose its possible that stopping the engine could have allowed the inlet area to let go of what was there right when I stopped the engine. After all I never stopped the engine when I was out on the water the entire time until I came back, so there was constant suction the whole time. Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
There is not much to the jet drive, so for it to have power then loose a bit means as you say something clogging or worn as QBhoy mentioned. Take the cone off the back and have a look at the impeller and ring

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here is a pic of the impeller from the front. I can take it apart later if needed.

Attachments

• photo278020.jpg
    photo278020.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
If you take it back out and all is good, then what ever was in there came out during the idle back in. If it still has an issue then wear ring, impeller or something more major

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you take it back out and all is good, then what ever was in there came out during the idle back in. If it still has an issue then wear ring, impeller or something more major

Yup, I will know more Saturday when I take it out again.