Yamalube 2-W or 2-M? And reasoning

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok so....
After recently just getting back into jet ski...bit of a dilemma !
Ski is a 2002 GP800r and I'm aware that any good TC-W3 oil will do, but prefer to use the yamalube. Problem is that after filling the tank with the synthetic 2-W oil, a jet ski yam expert has now advised against using this in preference of the 2-M oil....says that the 2-W oil is only for the skis with a Cat that needs low ash. Also said that the 2-W is a lesser grade oil and not TC-W3.
The oil does say for use on all Yamaha jet skis, but he has a point if it's to a lower standard than the older and perhaps more lubricating 2-M.
Anyone shed any light on this or have any further knowledge ?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
First of all, where you went wrong was to listen to a "yam expert". Second of all, all you had to do was google "Yamalube" and read what the manufacturer had to say.

Your Owner's Manual should very clear on what you should put in your 'ski.

2M is designed for outboards (including those that pre-mix). 2W is designed for watercraft (all of which inject the oil). Each description says what its for, and also states that it is NOT to be used visa versa. If Yamaha corporate says thats what you should use, then it must be OK. Low ash, cat conv. are legends that spread on the internet (another thing you shouldn't go by).

The TCW versions were designed for water cooled outboard motors, and the rating was developed to provide good dissolution in gas as it hits the combustion chamber.

You have the correct oil in your yami...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Jim S.
it just concerns me that the 2-w is a lesser spec oil. It's not even TC-W3.
The 2-m is TC-w3 and was and probably still is used as the bench mark for the tc-w3 grade awarding basis.
The bottle of the 2-m also says it's for PWC. It's also more expensive than the 2-w, which stand to the reasoning for the guy that advises me's argument.
Apparently since the new type 2-w synthetic came out as a one type does all for jet skis....it wasn't considered as good a quality or have as good librication characteristics as the 2-m, which used to be widely used in both outboards and waverunners. Only problem was, when the later gpr 1300's came out they had cats in them and the tcw3 grade old oil was gumming them up.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'd hate to think that these old yam 2 strokes have been so reliable for so long and gained their reputation for it....because the old oil was tried and tested. This newer more recent synthetic and low ash 2-w hasn't been around long enough to be termed as tried and tested, apparently.
Is it possible that if these older machines (that are known for lasting) were ran on this modern version from day one....they wouldn't still be running or have the reputation ?
Just a thought.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Where does it say that it is a "lesser grade"? It merely is a "different grade". Why would you put outboard motor oil in your watercraft? The spec for the 2M specifically says to not use it in a watercraft. Do you think Yami management and engineering is wrong?

Once again, TCW is an outboard motor designation. Before that came on the scene we used any old 10W30 auto oil and the outboards ran just fine.

Its your choice. Do as the expert tells you or do as Yamaha Motors suggests. Or buy some $3 Wallyworld oil.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Where does it say that it is a "lesser grade"? It merely is a "different grade". Why would you put outboard motor oil in your watercraft? The spec for the 2M specifically says to not use it in a watercraft. Do you think Yami management and engineering is wrong?

Once again, TCW is an outboard motor designation. Before that came on the scene we used any old 10W30 auto oil and the outboards ran just fine.

Its your choice. Do as the expert tells you or do as Yamaha Motors suggests. Or buy some $3 Wallyworld oil.

Hi Jim
It is a lesser grade from what I can tell. Apparently a TC-W2 grade. The 2-M is the later grade TC-W3 award.
Also, the 2-M says for pwc too. There is even a picture of a jet ski on the bottle. Not sure what you mean.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
TCW-3 obsoleted TCW-2. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe TCW-2 is no longer manufactured or certified. If you find a can, its probably NOS.

I don't know where you are getting your info. I got mine from the official Yamaha web site, not an after market seller. Yamaha states that 2M is for outboards and "it is not recommended for Watercraft". That's a quote! The 2W description states its specifically for watercraft. The current production bottle has a picture of an outboard on it.

Anywhoot, you asked for reasoning, that's it. I always follow the manufacturer's recommendations and my owner's manual.

OK, I give up. Use the 2M. Maybe it'll be OK.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi jim

I've figured out what's going on.
The UK yamalube product is completely different from your us product. In terms of not only it's labelling but also its spec and recommendations. Strange but true.
Have a google at "yamalube uk" and look at the marine products. Specifically 2-w and 2-m.
Strange they have different advice, packaging and even product.
Your us website does indeed say 2-m not recommended for waverunners.
Ours says for outboards and pwc.
Weird.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Our 2-w was apparently specifically and recently designed for waverunners only really with a catalytic converter, to stop them gumming up...not a great oil in other terms though and didn't manage the tc-w3 grade award.