1995 Merc Sport Jet 90 spark issues

Taylor Ling

Recruit
This is my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.. I have a 1995 Tracker Pro 18 Jet with a Mercury Sport Jet 90hp. I bought it last year for very little money because the flywheel magnets had come off while it was running and shredded the stator. I have since replaced the stator with a red CDI stator and replaced the flywheel. I have also cleaned out all 3 carburetors, put in new fuel lines, cleaned fuel filters, and replaced fuel pump. I installed new spark plugs as well. The engine will turn over fine and it sounds like it wants to start, but it's just not quite there. I was wondering what the next step is. Perhaps testing to see if a spark is going to the plugs? What other things can I do or replace to get this thing in the water?

Rhys62

Cadet
If it had the "Black Stator" and you replaced it with the "Red Stator" there is a kit of electronics that has to be changed as well. The tell tail piece is a "candy bar" a black piece with several connections about the size and shape of a full size milky way. not the size of todays milky way the 6 inch one. I will go take a picture of mine and edit this post after dinner.

​I use a spark tester I got at autozone cheap to verify spark.

Rhys62

Cadet
No Title

candy bar for the red stator. It is on top of the brain box with a red wire tie at each end.
I hope I didn't shrink this too much to fit here if its not viewable PM me and I will redo it.

There are some VERY knowledgeable people on this forum I'm sure you will find a lot of help here.
​find the Ser# of your engine and post it and they can tell you a lot of information. it starts 0E0 for our vintage.

Attachments

• photo269925.jpg
    photo269925.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo269926.jpg
    photo269926.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: