1996 Polaris SLT 780

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I hope it all works out great.. If so, i can go get the title for it lol its so ugly, all the stickers are faded, gel coat is faded, seat is torn.. wonder if I can just remove all the stickers and buff it back out. I know the rub rail won't buff out.. shame too.. I like the purple color

alldodge

Staff member
Its possible, but my old 2000 was what I called a beater, also purple. Real fun to drive, not that fast but could spin it and turn it into a submarine (sort of). My 2007 goes faster but cannot do what the other did, but is much smoother to ride

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
fired right up, but have 2 issues, well 3, but the 3rd really isnt an issue... Issue 1 -- The display does not work at all. Cannot figure out how to get it to display anything and Issue 2 -- The thumb throttle does not retract by itself. Issue 3 -- Handle grips broke apart in my hand (can find those easy and replace) EDIT: 4.. 4 problems.. Issue 4 -- battery is just free flopping in there EDIT AGAIN 5.. 5 problems.. Issue 5 --- something once upon a time bolted onto the back of the seat (the actual seat) 2 bolts on back there

alldodge

Staff member
So your saying it runs Yipee , but cannot drive it very well bummer

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, getting 1/4-20 threaded rod for battery hold down. Any clue what size handlebar grips I need is? Bought some fuses, havent really had a chance to do anything else, other than window shop due to rain for the next 7 days ... Also, do they make steps/ladders to attach to the back of these things?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know the size, but maybe measure and go to a bicycle shop or even walmart

You can use any kind that will mount, just search "pwc steps" and several show up

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I have some gouges in the hull of this thing.. Is it paint or gel coat? I know the color is Caribbean Blue P196

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Bilge pump and mfd fuses... has anyone jumped the fuse connectors in the panel and just installed inline fuses for easy changing? Is that something that can be done?

alldodge

Staff member
Never done it, but a fuse is a fuse, heat from current burns them in two. Only differences in fuses is slow blow or regular fast type.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
This box seems like a hassle if I blow fuses. Remove battery, remove 3 bolts holding box on, remove 6 Allen bolts, open box, replace fuse. Seems like just adding an easy access inline fuse would work the same.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, but with normal operation you should never need to replace a fuse.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Okies dokies! MFD came on.. showed all 0s.. then it showed the clock.. But its SO hard to see.. like.. you know when a glare is on your depth finder and you have to shade it and get close to read it.... Now I read about cutting it open and cleaning and putting back together, would that fix it?

alldodge

Staff member
Now I read about cutting it open and cleaning and putting back together, would that fix it?

Don't know, might make it worst. If the lens is the issue, like what happens to a head light lens in the sun, maybe polish.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
is there a way to hook it up to display stuff, without it being in the ski? -- I removed the pad and unplugged it

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, here we go.. I cut it open, cleaned all the connections as in the repair article states... Still dim -- Now, let me say.. the numbers are NOT dim, but the surrounding area is almost brown/black too, which makes it hard to see.. I took out the lcd and used a heat gun on the black and tried to sandwich it together more, it helped slightly, and I do mean slightly.. any ideas?