burned up the coil on 96 GTX

robert s75

Cadet
I have a 96 GTX that I was working on recently, don't know much about them. I rebuilt the carbs and went to put the battery back in and hooked the coil ground to the hot side of battery. I know dumb! The coil got hot and basically burned up. I bought another coil with wires and boots but still no spark. I also checked all the fuses and cut the coil ground and replaced the end. I get two beeps and the engine turns over fine. Can the plug spark be tested by grounding plug to an unpainted surface and looking for spark similar to a lawnmower? Since the coil, wires, boots, fuses are good what else can it be? I've read a lot about it but never came across this kind of problem where someone toasted the coil. I don't know what the hell I was thinking, I look forward to your help. Thanks,

gm280

Supreme Mariner
robert s75, Sounds like when you hooked up the coil to the positive side of the battery, you sent voltage to whatever was firing that spark coil. So you may have toasted more then just the coil. I would look at what feeds the spark plug coil and see what it test out like. It may take some more parts. :sorry:

robert s75

Cadet
That's what I was thinking, but not sure where to start looking. I think it may be in the front box and I have read how to test the white wire to the coil. I guess I'll do that and make sure it's not getting power to the coil. Then I can start on figuring out what else it can be. I hope you can change out some of those components in there individually, that whole assembly is around 300 to 350. I've already spent a ton on my boat this year, " bust out another thousand ". Thanks for the help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's what I was thinking, but not sure where to start looking. I think it may be in the front box and I have read how to test the white wire to the coil. I guess I'll do that and make sure it's not getting power to the coil. Then I can start on figuring out what else it can be. I hope you can change out some of those components in there individually, that whole assembly is around 300 to 350. I've already spent a ton on my boat this year, " bust out another thousand ". Thanks for the help.

Sad to say but water-sport parts are not cheap. And I have a feeling you will spend more money before this is running again. But stick with it and get it fixed the proper way and then enjoy it and tuck this back as a lesson learned. :eek: