Seadoo 2 stroke Oil Injection

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are there any rules of thumb in terms of oil consumption on the 587cc injection system? I have a 1994 with a 587cc engine that I got this year. I have put on maybe five hours of use. Perhaps 11 gallons of gasoline I have used. When I look at the oil level on the side of the oil reservoir facing the engine, it looks like it is still 3/4 full. I went out on the water yesterday for maybe 90 minutes going no more than half throttle for most of it, and the oil level really didn't seem to move after I was done.

Are there any rules of thumb in terms of making sure the pump is working correctly?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need to measure the amount of fuel and the amount of oil used, the tank levels don't mean much.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Unless you measure the amount of fuel and oil used you won't know what it's actually doing.

​The standard procedure is to mark the level of both fuel and oil in the tanks with tape or a sharpie, then run it for a long enough period of time to use enough for a reasonably accurate measurement of each. If you feel it's not oiling correctly right now then mix the fuel at 50:1 until you finish the test and know the actual ratio the oil system is supplying.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless you measure the amount of fuel and oil used you won't know what it's actually doing.

​The standard procedure is to mark the level of both fuel and oil in the tanks with tape or a sharpie, then run it for a long enough period of time to use enough for a reasonably accurate measurement of each. If you feel it's not oiling correctly right now then mix the fuel at 50:1 until you finish the test and know the actual ratio the oil system is supplying.

I did exactly that to both of my identical Seadoos. I rode them both for the same amount of time. One went down almost half an inch, and the other went down only a millimeter. Glad I decided to premix the fuel on that one before I took it out! Clearly the engine on that one is starving for oil.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
fill each oil tank back up the line and do the same with the gas and you'll know the ratio for each one.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I am continuing my attempt to fix the oil injection on my 1994 Seadoo SP with 587cc engine. The oil does not seem to be injecting because the oil level has not moved at all since I have bought it. So I have been premixing, at least until I can pinpoint the problem. I have replaced the oil filter and I dont think that did anything. I am now looking to the next step. People on other forums claim that these oil pumps hardly ever break down. Especially on the 587cc engine. I mean, how could it get worn? Its constantly getting lubrication.

I wonder about check valves on the oil tank. Can they get defective and prevent oil from flowing into the pump? Just a thought. Other troubleshooting recommendations?

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any ideas on oil check valves? Do they go bad and limit the amount of flow to the pump? Everyone out there on the web seems to think that these oil pumps are the most reliable ones ever made. Those on the 587 engine that is.

eavega

Lieutenant
There is should be a procedure in the service manual that dictates how much oil should flow. The oil pump can be bench tested by attaching it to a drill run in reverse, and measuring the amount of oil used. I agree with you that everything I have read is that these oil pumps are basically bullet-proof and the failures usually come from the oil lines failing over time. That having been said, I have had one oil pump fail on me due to water intrusion (luckily I was running premix while I did a break-in on a new top end, and was alerted to the failing pump when I couldn't even get it to move oil through the bleed screw).

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So when people say that the "Oil Lines" go bad and should be replaced, do they mean the larger hoses that run from the oil tank? Or those two itty bitty lines that are on the oil pump cleverly hidden under the carburetor?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Speaking from experience...the best advice I can offer you is to immediately blank off the oil injection system and remove the drive shaft from the pump.
Then pre mix the fuel tank at 40/1.
You are so lucky it hasn't already given up. They give up without warning and usually at WOT ! Boom.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oil lines are a problem but also common is for the actuating cable to snap.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well I took off the intake and have been inspecting the oil lines visually. Is there a way to tell if these lines are becoming "brittle" and "collapsing" like so many other people say happens? I have new hose but I thought I would show this to you all first.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• photo275280.jpg
    photo275280.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275281.jpg
    photo275281.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0

eavega

Lieutenant
They look like they have been replaced at some point. Usually they were painted white to match the motor when original. If you already have the intake off, I would just replace it with tygon or other fuel resistant hose to be sure. To answer your previous question, If you can replace all the oil lines including the pump feed and the rotary gear oil lines, I'd do it for peace of mind. The ones that usually failed, though, was the small diameter oil injection lines. To respond to a previous poster, If the actuating cable were to fail, the default position for the pump is 'wide open' so it would over-oil the engine in that case.

-E

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could you give me an idea on how to remove the two small hoses? There seems to be some type of metal collar or something around the ends of each side. Does that turn?