2012 Seadoo Impeller not turning freely when torqued down

mikeauton

Seaman
Hi all,

My son has a 2012 Seadoo GTI SE/155. We just bought a new pump as the original one failed when water got into it, when we torque the impeller down it seems to bind onto the hub? It screws down easily, so is not an issue with the wear ring/impeller clearance. I know that if we install it now and try to run it, the action of the drive shaft turning the impeller will most likely bind it up even more.

It turns freely up to a certain point, then if you tighten it even a fraction too much it locks up! I have a VERY frustrated 17 year old!

If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be very appreciative.

mikeauton

Seaman
Yes it is a new pump - we read all this on PWCtoday, but this did not really help diagnose the issue.....so the pump should not turn freely at all?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes it is a new pump - we read all this on PWCtoday, but this did not really help diagnose the issue.....so the pump should not turn freely at all?

With the impeller installed the impeller should turn in the pump housing. The cone is part of the housing and does not turn. Once the pump housing with impeller is installed in the Doo the pump will not turn because the motor will keep it from turning

mikeauton

Seaman
Just to be clear, we still have the pump out. Get that the impeller would not turn once installed. The guy on the other forum talks a lot of sense, but he refers to a 'flat bearing' having potentially being pinched, but I cannot see a flat bearing on the pump diagram, only an angled bearing which looks to be
under the flange nut behind the nose cone. Hesitant to go taking a brand new pump apart......but if that is what we need to do, then so be it - just trying to get come clear definition on sensible next actions - dont want to ruin a $400 pump!!

alldodge

Staff member
OK, pump is out, and when the impeller is installed the impeller no longer turns, and the impeller is not touching the wear ring.

If this is the case then either the new pump housing does not fit the impeller or something inside it is wrong.

This is you problem: Replaced my 2007 pump housing because the old one was made of a composite material and has warped. Could not use older style wear ring with new housing, because it interfered with the impeller. Wonder if there is an issue which causes and issue with your old impeller, not on the wear ring edges, but inside or under the impeller. Maybe check the dimensions of the old and new housing