Oil for older 2 stroke Seadoos

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a 1994 Seadoo SP and am wondering what Oil I can use. Some people say that you have to use the Seadoo specific brand due to its properties. Other people say that you can get away with any type of 2 cycle oil as long as you don't have power valves. Does a 587cc Seadoo engine have power valves? Other recommendations?

alldodge

Staff member
There are no power valve (also called RAV valves) on the 587 motor.

I use to only use seadoo oil and the main reason was it wasn't much more then aftermarket. Others have used aftermarket without issue. The big thing is make sure the specs are the same. In most cases the thing that causes failures is when the oil injection pump fails. Many do away with the pump and just mix the oil in the tank

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think the last owner used Seadoo Full Synthetic. Could I move to a synthetic blend, or is that not advised?

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question has come up. I read on another website that the older seadoos such as my 587cc engine require some type of mineral oil and that Blend oil should be used. Is there validity to this? Any problem using Quicksilver PWC full synthetic?

Also, the oil in my seadoos right now is a dark red. Thats from the previous owner. Not sure of the brand.

alldodge

Staff member
I would say if the manual for your doo says to use mineral, then I would use mineral. Just look your year up, most manuals are out there

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say if the manual for your doo says to use mineral, then I would use mineral. Just look your year up, most manuals are out there

The manual mentions nothing related to synthetic. But that I think was before they even used it. Now you have hardly any mineral oil available. Only synthetic or Blended versions. Thus my curiosity.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Every 2-stroke Doo I ever owned eventually had some kind of problem with the oil system. THAT was using S-D recommended oil. For a PWC as old as yours I can only imagine the problems that are waiting in the wings.

Empty the oil tank and make your own pre-blend. Use whatever oil you like. i always used mineral oil without any engine problems. Any semi or syn should be fine for the engine.

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Empty the oil tank and make your own pre-blend.

DO NOT DO THIS!

Your Rotax engine uses a rotaty valve and it needs to lubricated, this is done through the oil tank.

You can convert to premix if you use block off plates but you still need to keep oil in the tank. You can google the subject and will find thousands of pages with people debating if premix is good or bad. Many seadoo engine problems get blamed on oil pumps but they are extremley reliable. if you have 20+ year old lines on that oil pump you should replace them.

To answer your original oil question, no power valves so use the cheapest stuff you can find, don't worry about what's in there now just top it off with whatever.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Good to know if I ever own another 2-stroke (which will probably be never). The last one had a leaking oil tank, thus the reason it was removed and converted to pre-mix. I DID put on the block off plates though.

Anywhoot, it was still running OK when I sold it...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
I went through the same issue years ago and did a fair bit of research on the subject.
I'm pretty confident that your model is ok with most quality brands of marine 2 stroke Tcw-3 oil.
I had the DI direct injection model 951. This was a different case all together. I had to shell out a fortune for the seadoo synthetic stuff or occasionally I used Castrol synthetic motorbike racing oil.
Others have suggested that rock oil synthetic blend is good too.
For your engine, many just use the Quicksilver pwc oil. I'm sure this would be good enough...
That said, all 2 stroke jet skis of this vintage are a ticking time bomb....beware !
Inherently they are fond of a rebuild every couple of hundred hours...if you are lucky !