1996 Sea Doo GTX header assembly leak.

stevesmerc

Cadet
Moved to the river year ago with no water toys now have 3. Bought the above Sea Doo and winterized it last fall. This weekend dewinterized it and discovered a leak in the exhaust header. After reading different post I used JB weld to repair and was not comfortable with this repair especially since it had already been repaired this way before I got it. So have made arrangements to have it welded. My question is is there a possibility that the break or damage goes thru to the inner or exhaust chamber? While I have it apart am going to do a tap test to see if the other 3 plugs seem weak. Is there a better way to test the other plugs.
Sorry for the long post.
Thank you for any input.

alldodge

Staff member
I might not be up on the latest terms, but exhaust header turns on many lights in my head. Are you talking about the cast iron exhaust manifold which connects to the stainless steel exhaust, or something else?

stevesmerc

Cadet
Attached is what I understand to be a part of the exhaust header assembly. The one on my Sea Doo GTX has developed a hole in one of the plate or plugs. This seems to be a fairly frequent problem, with at least a couple ways to repair not counting a new one. I have elected to go the weld repair. I am concerned if this plate or plug has eroded thru is it possible that the inner tube would have damage as well. After prepping it for weld I have learned the casting is thicker than the plate. If there is anything I am missing would appreciate any input.
tube.png

Attachments

• tube.png
    tube.png
    259.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tube.png
    tube.png
  • tube.png
    tube.png

alldodge

Staff member
I don't have any first hand repair of the header. but welding should work

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
Very very common issue, those plugs corrode from the inside out so by the time you see the issue it's time to repair. Yes have all the plugs welded or buy one that someone has already welded up.