Just Bought a 1996 Sea Rayder

redfalcon

Cadet
Hi everybody,

I bought a 1996 Sea Rayder with Mercury 120xr engine. It looks in good condition, clean etc. When I bought it the guy told me not to start it until I remove all the old gas since it was stored for a long time. He cranked it a little bit just to show me the engine was not locked. I removed the fuel hose from the tank just to find out that I couldn't put a draining hose so I used a tiny one and drained about 4 gallons of fuel but there is still more inside and I plan to finish draining it tomorrow. So couple of questions I have:
-Is it okay if the tank is not 100% drained? What should I do after draining the fuel out, fill it up 100% and adding some fuel stabilizer?
-Can I start it out of the water connecting a garden hose .... where?
-I found out that the wires for the spark plugs were disconnected from the spark plugs. Is that something you do before storing it?
-Any precautions I should take before starting it up?

Thanks to everybody who read this post and can help me.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Get a automotive electric fuel pump, remove the gas tank sender ansd insert hose into the tank and pump dry.
Depending what you remove may dictate further action

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Fuel stabilizer will do nothing at this point, save your money.

​Removing the plug wires does nothing, they may have winterized it by putting some fogging oil in each cylinder, but that's just a guess.

​There may be an access hatch for the fuel tank, if so you can drain it from there.

redfalcon

Cadet
No Title

Thanks BT and Ondarvr. I think I was able to remove almost 16 gallons of fuel. I don't know to much about boats and mechanics but I found what the sender was and I was not able to find anything like that over the tank. Also I didn't find any hatch so I finished draining it removing the filling fuel hose and going thru the 90 degrees tube. I am attaching a picture of it. Now I don't think the tank is 100% dry drained but I will say at least 98%. The fuel that I removed was clean. Now what do you guys suggest for the next step? Can I fuel it and try to start it or no? If so is it okay to start it our of the water?

Once again thanks for all your help

Attachments

• photo265151.jpg
    photo265151.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 1

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you have a portable boat fuel tank (probably not) I would connect it to that the first time I started it, if you don't, install a good inline filter, put fuel in the tank and go for it.

​You can start it out of the water, but you need to supply water to the motor with a hose, you'll need to pick up the correct adaptor for your system. Never start it without water.

redfalcon

Cadet
Thanks Ondarvr. I went and bought a portable fuel tank just to be on the safe side. Now, how do I supply water to the motor? I haven't been able to find where to connect the hose.

redfalcon

Cadet
Bad News! I think I got ripped off. I connected the water hose to the engine as per the video. I disconnected the fuel line that goes to the water separator from the tank and connected to the portable fuel tank. I tried to started it but it didn't start. After several tries a little bit of smoke started coming from a piece next to the starter. I am attaching some videos and I hope somebody here can give me a least some good news! Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The smoke is probably from either a bad connection, low battery, starter solenoid failing or weak starter.

​You should charge the battery, clean all connections (every one), then try it again, if its still slow take the plugs out and try it, you can also bypass everything and jump it right to the starter, this takes everything else out of play.

redfalcon

Cadet
No Title

More bad news! I was going to clean the contacts from the starter solenoid and one of the bolts broke (see picture), so tomorrow I will buy a solenoid and somebody suggest to also replace the fuel filter and the spark plugs. I will keep you posted.

Attachments

• photo265439.jpg
    photo265439.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 0