Old non-e premixed fuel and what to do with it

eavega

Lieutenant
So, I am in the process of completing the reassembly of a 1997 Seadoo GSX with 787 dual carb engine. This ski blew its MAG (front) piston either due to a lean condition (that's what I think after cleaning out the carburetor filters) or from excessive cylinder wall clearance (assessment of Fullbore.com, the company that did the boring/honing work for me).

Anyway, the catastrophic failure happened on June 10 of last year. At that time there was still 10 gallons of freshly pumped Non-e Rec 90 mixed with oil at a 40:1 ratio (We weren't sure if the oil pump was working, so we decided the lesser of two evils was double oiling and possibly fouling the plugs rather than killing the engine due to lack of oil). The ski has been stored in a garage with the fuel in the tank since then until about beginning of March when it came over to my place. Fast forward to yesterday, I pumped the 10 gallons of remaining fuel out of the ski in order to remove the fuel tank, make sure it was clean, etc. Now I have 2 5-gallon cans of fuel that I would like something to do with. In order of preference I would like to:

1. Pour it back into the ski and run it.
2. use it in my generator, power washer, and other assorted lawn equipment. This will take a bit longer as I don't typically go through more than a couple of gallons a month...
3. use it mixed with fresh fuel 1:1 (meaning half old fuel, half new fuel) in one of my seadoos (I have 2)

Can you all give me your opinion as to whether that fuel is safe to use on carbureted engines (all my yard equipment is carbureted), and how much longer do I have to do something with it before it goes bad? The fuel doesn't smell off or varnishy, but I am willing to dump it if its useless.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Some will disagree; but you can cut a lot of grass with 10 gallons of gas. We use that weekly.

alldodge

Staff member
Non-E gas would take a really long time to go bad, I would run it. If your worried about to much oil, mix it with fresh to dilute some

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would not have a problem using it. Even if it was 10% ethanol, I would not have a problem using it.

pckeen

Commander
I agree with Scott. You may well be able to use it, but if it is bad or has particles in it you haven't noticed, you can clog a carb or cause an engine not to run, and if that happens, the time and cost involved in fixing it will be a lot more. Spend $30 to buy new gas, and burn it or take it to a hazardous waste disposal site.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I would never run old gas in a two stroke engine. Find some one who wants it and give that headache away.
Call your township for disposal.

Put new gas/oil in your new engine. <<--period

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
LOL...the fuel is only around 11 months old! It will work fine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have an auxilliary tank on one of my boats that gets fresh fuel every Spring, and then rarely gets used. The following year when I replace it I put the year old gas in my fishing boat. Been doing that for years. The Fishing Boat's OB never knows the difference.

E-10 or E-0, pffft. I see no storage stability problems after a year.

If its got oil in it (premix), it would be silly to put it in a car, or any 4-stroke lawn mower for that matter....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have a car without O2 sensors, you would never want to put it in a car.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Unless you have a car without O2 sensors, you would never want to put it in a car.

​I use up old premix quite often. Yes I put it in my car, winch has o2 sensors. 1 gallon of premix, to the rest of the fuel, no check engine light in 20 years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
​I use up old premix quite often. Yes I put it in my car, winch has o2 sensors. 1 gallon of premix, to the rest of the fuel, no check engine light in 20 years.
It reduces the life of O2 sensors and degrades them. This is also why engines that start burning oil tend to have failing O2 sensors more often.

Advising people to put the 2 stroke pre mix gasoline is doing them a disservice.