Battery Fluid Level Question

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my Seadoo batteries with the a new ones from Batteries Plus. They filled them and charged them before I picked them up, presumably with fluid that came in the box. When I look at the fluid level now a day later, it appears to be above the maximum point. This is true for both new batteries. Is this normal? Or is it possible they overfilled them? I don't know how that would be possible considering the fluid is probably premeasured.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
not an issue unless it is REALLY full. Periodically check them. There might be some gas bubbles in between the plates somewhere that's causing the top level to be higher. Once it bounces around a bit those will work themselves out.

alldodge

Staff member
It will be OK, but if to full the acid will dip out into the watercraft. If you buy the kit and fill your self, you will pay close attention. Buying from a place which fills it for you then things can be off. My guess its done buy someone which does a lot of them and doesn't pay that much attention.

Not to get off your topic, I would suggest that the next time you need batteries, get AGM type and they will last much longer, and cost a bit more, and no acid to fill.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I find it odd that on this particular model for Seadoo, the terminals of the battery are on the side of the engine block. Point being that if the battery were to come loose from the two rubber straps, theoretically the terminals would contact the engine and there would be one massive short and a potential explosion. Or am I just wrong?

alldodge

Staff member
It's possible, but most have a good hold down to keep them in place, and a insulator boot on the positive cable

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Definitely should be an insulator boot on the positive post.