Synthetic Grease for top-end reassembly

eavega

Lieutenant
Hey folks

So, I am attempting my first top-end rebuild on a motor. I have a 1997 Seadoo GTX with the 787 engine that I have had honed, crosshatched, and matched to new pistons. I am getting ready to reassemble everything, and I see in the manual that it calls for "Synthetic Grease" to be used on the cylinder bolts as well as the head bolts. I'm assuming its to ease the re-assembly and provide a layer of corrosion protection. I'd rather not purchase another $30 tube of Bombardier-branded grease (which I'll have to wait a week for the shipment to arrive) if I have something that will suffice in the garage. My feeling is that 2-4-C would be the same stuff. Any opinions?

Rgds

E

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No Sea-Doo dealers nearby? Last time I looked 2-4-C is not synthetic. Assembly specifications are allowed to superceded by feelings when it convenient.

eavega

Lieutenant
Well, was really figuring to use something I already had...Doing further web searching, apparently what the parts manual calls for is "Mollykote 111". The shop manual says "Synthetic Grease" without specifying anything further. Some forums indicate any kind of marine grease will work. I was hoping that something in the garage that I use on my Mercruiser 3.0L (spline grease, 2-4-C, Gimbal Bearing grease, etc) would work for the intent, which seems to be corrosion protection and ease of assembly...

E

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If they are specifying a particular type of grease for assembly, you can't go wrong using it. Something else might be OK, but it might not.