PWC Trailering Questions

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just picked up a pair of mid 1990s PWCs. I have a couple trailer questions. This trailer has a bow stop against the hull of the PWCs. It just doesn't seem to look quite right. I see many other trailers with a roller in this spot. What do you think?

I do also kind of think that the bunks are too long. Though some people tell me that is good for shallow launching areas. What do you think? ( I know the carpet is missing. It was worn out and I am replacing that area.)

See pictures.

Attachments

• photo262305.jpg
    photo262305.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262306.jpg
    photo262306.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Marcus,

How well is the trailer balanced ? Is the tongue weight about 10 percent of the trailer weight? (i.e. 700# jet ski + 200# trailer) needs a tongue weight of 90#. Some what less, say 70# may be acceptable, but too light will give poor towing performance. Fish-tailing (swaying side to side) is a dangerous possibility.

The bow stop can be either a roller or the non-marring rubber "V" you have already. But I would caution you to tie/chain the bow eyelet vertically down to the trailer frame to prevent it from riding up on the "V"/roller during a quick stop. The stern strapping appears able to stop the PWC from bouncing off, but it will not keep it from surging forward during an emergency stop.

A picture of your rig would be helpful. If you can get a side shot, we can see if the bunks are too long or just need to be repositioned forward on the frame.

Happy boating !! & enjoy your new toy this season.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Marcus,

How well is the trailer balanced ? Is the tongue weight about 10 percent of the trailer weight? (i.e. 700# jet ski + 200# trailer) needs a tongue weight of 90#. Some what less, say 70# may be acceptable, but too light will give poor towing performance. Fish-tailing (swaying side to side) is a dangerous possibility.

The bow stop can be either a roller or the non-marring rubber "V" you have already. But I would caution you to tie/chain the bow eyelet vertically down to the trailer frame to prevent it from riding up on the "V"/roller during a quick stop. The stern strapping appears able to stop the PWC from bouncing off, but it will not keep it from surging forward during an emergency stop.

A picture of your rig would be helpful. If you can get a side shot, we can see if the bunks are too long or just need to be repositioned forward on the frame.

Happy boating !! & enjoy your new toy this season.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

The trailer tongue weight is very strong. Therefore I dont forsee any fish tailing problems. Thank you for your insights on fastening down the bow stop. I am surprised they would design something like this if that could happen so easily. I think I might just replace it with a bow roller and solve the problem all together. Though I am not sure how to install that as far as what kind of hardware brackets would be needed. Thoughts?

Port Clinton, Very cool. I live outside of Green Bay WI but I remember driving through Ohio in August of 2005 and stopping in Port Clinton. First time I ever saw Lake Erie.

Attachments

• photo262315.jpg
    photo262315.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262316.jpg
    photo262316.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262317.jpg
    photo262317.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262318.jpg
    photo262318.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have a recommendation on a new box for mounting on the front of the trailer? That old one on the pictures is rotted out on the bottom. I already took it off.