very strange problems with pwc

nonstopgo68

Seaman
2011 Yamaha VX Deluxe 1100
Started happening Every now and then Last season, after riding for a little while was hard to start- Crank no start. Got the YDS software. No codes. Checked temp switch. all seemed good.

Went riding 2 weekends ago first time this season and after riding for a couple of hours, cutting it off and letting it sit for awhile about 10 times, no problems.( I was about to say something to my wife about how when i ride it it does fine. Let me back up. this is my wifes -we have identical waverunners and all last year i gave her a hard time about not being able to start it after we would go in somewhere to eat or something. So she made me switch with her. lol ) Then it happened, it would crank no start and would not start til finally 2 days later.

Tried and tested everything i could think of.
Had spark, could command fuel pump on and hear it run.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Oh new batteries, fresh gas. I think what is bugging me is the fact that it will run fine and then all of sudden it wont start.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif].... last weekend i tried swapping cam sensors rode for about an hour solid. ran great but i didnt cut it off. went in a restaurant to eat come back out . crank no start . had to tow it back to launch. tried everyday this week to see if it would start and was kinda happy thinking ok whatever is was is dead now and i should be able to test and find out what it is. (has to wait til weekend) but thurs.. 4 days later it will start.....i own an auto repair shop , we work on everything from Mercedes to KIA but i really cant think of anything that would cause this.[/FONT]

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Check the oil level. If there is too much oil it will do what you describe. They have oil level sensors if I recall and the issue could be intermittent especially if you are right on the edge and have been riding.

nonstopgo68

Seaman
ok i will check it. i have always changed oil since I've owned it . i extract it with large mityvac and put back the same amount. that does sound plausible because when you check it cold it kinda looks low but after running it i think it might be above the mark.

nonstopgo68

Seaman
ok the oil level is perfect. ironically the one that runs great always never gives a problem was too high. lol

what could this be ?????????????????:mmph:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
could be moisture condensing inside the spark plug caps - same symptoms on a motorbike i had - gets hot from riding and steams inside cap, then u stop and it condenses to a short - i had to chop back some corroded ht lead and install new caps... maybe same principle but with a wiring harness plug?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Join a forum called Greenhulk. It's the top site for PWCs. Someone will be able to help you.