Blown exhaust gasket on 1989 waverunner wr500

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the engine and found a blown gasket.. Will this blown gasket allow water in cylinders? Pics attached

alldodge

Staff member
The pics at "myalbum" is kind of hard to look at, but as with any head gasket on a water cool motor, it can let water into the cylinders

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's the exhaust manifold gasket, but the water and exhaust were mixing there for sure, I was wondering if it can pull water into the cylinders there.

alldodge

Staff member
It's the exhaust manifold gasket, but the water and exhaust were mixing there for sure, I was wondering if it can pull water into the cylinders there.

Not normally, unless the exhaust manifold is rusted out or has a crack. Could check the manifold with acetone to see if there is a crack

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did see what appeared to be rust, not sure where its coming from though, The gasket failed right where the water and exhaust meet coming from the pump. I have read that these gaskets are prone to burning out. I still havent found a definitive crack. The head gasket is new and torqued in correct sequence. Water is coming from somewhere and getting worse. I guess I am going to have to pull the back exhaust cover off.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am not seeing a crack, I have the head and the exhaust manifolds off. I did see a pin head size nick in the case where the head mounts too, maybe that gave me a bad seal on the head? Its small, about the size of a flea, and just as deep. I am going to install a new top end gasket set and use rtv this time and hope for the best.

alldodge

Staff member
RTV is not a good sealant for head, intake or exhaust components. The items should be put together dry. When in doubt I would suggest filling pits with JB Weld, then use a wide flat file and file flat. The install new gaskets

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gasket blew so bad that the water was ricocheting off of the manifold into cylinders, it was also spraying inside the ski. Weird but now i just need to shim it correctly since they all fell off when i was pulling the engine. There are 9 shims and 4 mounts. Im guessing 2 on each and 3 on another. Thanks for the help AllDodge.

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, took it out and it did great. That dams exhaust gasket was letting water in somehow. It flooded on me but I cleaned carb and got it to start.

alldodge

Staff member
Something isn't right. Guess you need to get into it a bit further

dan2744

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it fixed right now. I had fixed the water in cylinders problem. Cleaned carb again, runs great. That manifold gasket was causing all those problems. Once that problem was taken care of the float needle stuck open on me. I appreciate the help and now I know that if that gasket blows out on the right place, it let's water in the cylinder. This forum is great and has helped me again.