New to PWCs, need some advice.

Vikesfan

Seaman
No Title

You can't go wrong with a well taken care of n/a Yamaha (VX110 or FX) or a Sea-doo (GTi or GTX) around the 2006 year range. I would also recommend a Kawasaki STX-15F. The Sea-doo's will be more comfortable and have more options. Because of that, there are more things that can potentially go wrong. Yamaha's are typically really reliable, but I find them to be a little boring in both style and their ride. The Kawasaki STX-15F was based on their race ski back in the day so it will have more of a sporty ride than the other n/a options. They go back as far as 2003 and are still making pretty much the same model today.

I disagree that there is no advantage to a supercharged ski. I have a 2006 Sea-doo RXP (modified) and the speed is addictive. The trade off is that you do have to pay more attention to it and have the supercharger maintained every 100 hours. (less if you ride more aggressively) I would suggest that if you don't want a supercharges ski to stay off of one. Once you ride one it's hard to go back.

Attachments

• photo261178.jpg
    photo261178.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0

jkust

Rear Admiral
Here's where I would disagree....

The naturally aspirated Yamis are totally bulletproof. The NA SeaDoos are a pretty close second. The SD supercharged are somewhat problematic. The Yami SCs are much better.

If you are going to have a problem, it will b e with a supercharger.

Having at both at the same time I don't see where the SC is any advantage at all. Sure, a little faster, but not worth the hassle...

I disagree, you get to make good friends with either the gas attendant at the marina or the gas station as you fill your six 6 gallon gas jugs in a way that you just don't get to with a naturally aspirated engine. That smell of 36 gallons of gas in the back of the SUV is something to behold as well. Plus you get to really develop one tricep as you are constantly filling the gas tank while up on the lift slightly over your head. I'm a bit of an overkiller....if a car has a v8 option, i will only buy the v8, if a boat has a bigger v8 option, I will find it no matter how rare it is and if a PWC has a SC option, I won't even consider a non SC version no matter if you drop it off for free at my shore and tell me I can't sell it....well that's a bit of overkill because my wife would like less performance versus more performance.
I'm not sure If I mentioned that SC PWC use a little bit of gas.