Sea Doo Challenger

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
I am in the process of looking for a Sea Doo Challenger and I know nothing about them.

The years I am looking at are 1996 - 2000 just because of the cost. My main use is as a tender between land and my anchored boat, so my dog can do his business and bring guests to the boat.

Is there any year better/worse than another ?

Are there any issues I should be aware of ?

What is better, single or twin.

Or anything that I should look for ?

Last edited:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
The 4 stroke engines are far more reliable I had a old 951 two stroke that had issues, I would not own one again as for the 4 stroke. very reliable and worth the price difference,

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Things have changed in the last week.....I am very close to buying a 2003 Sea Doo Sportster.....is there anything I should have a look for with this year/model/

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Things have changed in the last week.....I am very close to buying a 2003 Sea Doo Sportster.....is there anything I should have a look for with this year/model/

The sportster is more or less the same thing as I've had both. The challenger had a slightly different hull. What makes you want a jet? Will you be leaving it in the water? Jets can be a headache in salt water

We love our two strokes. As long as you maintain them they are fine. I would go with a single engine because twin means double trouble

This one you are considering...what engine does it have?

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
The sportster is more or less the same thing as I've had both. The challenger had a slightly different hull. What makes you want a jet? Will you be leaving it in the water? Jets can be a headache in salt water

We love our two strokes. As long as you maintain them they are fine. I would go with a single engine because twin means double trouble

This one you are considering...what engine does it have?

The one I was considering is now the one I bought.

It has a single 2 stroke Rotax engine and there is no hour meter. I bought it from a dealer and they don't know much about it other than the person who traded it in on his purchase of a Meridian 441, is very meticulous about his boat so he must be the same with a Sportster.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Sportster to Meridian 441- now THATS and upgrade!

Nice! We have that just a year older. Ours is in great shape as well. It has the 951 engine correct? If so, every time you will be shutting it down for a few days, you should fog it. Everyone says (see the Seadoo and other forums) with a 951 that the engine life is greatly increased when you fog it after every use.

They can tell you the hours at a dealer when they plug the engine in to the computer

Post up some pics