Crank bearing on 900 kawasaki stx

Was looking to buy a 3 person jet ski found a Kawasaki 900stx that needs a crank bearing for $500. Is this a big job that I could do (somewhat mechanically inclined,but not a professional by any means) is it worth it to pick this up for $500 or is it a waste of time and just find a ski that's running for a $1200 budget?

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rebuilt a 2004 model for a gentleman a couple years ago. It was a rental ski that had 442 hours on it and had put a hole through the aft piston. There are 6 crank bearings and there is no way you are getting to 4 of them without specialized tools. The whole engine has to be completely disassembled and then the crank is pressed apart using a hydraulic press and special crank web separation tools.

The point is this: The ski complete, as is condition, is worth about $500. This means that it isn't torn apart, no parts missing, the exhaust is laying in the hull, etc.

It will cost you $400-$500 just to have the crank rebuilt by a professional shop that specializes in that. I had mine done by RAS Racing out in California (if they are still around). Their online site was jetskimechanic.com

I know some people save a few bucks by buying a rebuilt crank from SBT in Florida, but I'm not a huge fan of the mass-remanufacturer. Call me old fashioned, but I like knowing that one person is doing the work and doing it with precision.

If your budget really is $1200, I wish you good luck. For that money you can get a running ski, but it's not likely that it's going to run for long. Just my past experience with the old 2 strokes. However, I can say that Kawasaki builds a stout tripple. It won't be a speed demon like some of these new Sea-Doos but if you rebuild one right, and do the required yearly maintenance it deserves, it will give you years of reliable service.

STXCrank_zpsjxddroyi.jpg

STXCrankWebs_zpszsxvekib.jpg

STXpistonhole_zpsfcgkjigz.jpg

Thanks for the info. Yea $1200 is about where I sit. I don't need a speed demon just looking for something I can pull the kids with on a tube. I have a 21ft pontoon allready but it only has an Evinrude 28hp and that isnt going to cut it for a tube. Boat itself is only rated to a 40hp thought about repowering with a 50 but I don't want to get in trouble for overpowering. That and the fact that I'm still not convinced that the 50 will have enough power for a tube. I guess I'll keep looking at the moment, still hard water up here in the ol' badger state anyway.