Winter Storage

jerkputter

Seaman
My son bought a new Sea-Doo in July. It has only 19 hours on it now. I was able to put it in my basement for the winter. Before we loaded it I put the correct amount of Seafoam in gas and drove it a few mile. My basement is heated and never goes under 50 degrees. Would there be any use in the winterize thing ? with only 19 hours on this PWC ? The oil still looks new as really it is. Just wondering because my thinking is we do the service thing next season. Also I did not start it up before parking in basement. Should I have started it for a few seconds and get that nasty lake water out of system ? or would that really make any difference. I also did not top off the fuel. It only had about 1/4 tank. Just wondering if I should fill it to top ? This of course is the 4-stroke engine. Thanks

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Well, typically you are supposed to do the initial oil change after the first 20? hours on most boats so I'd do an oil and filter change. Better to do it now than let the old oil sit in there all winter. When we put away the RXP I just fire it up in the driveway to run all the water out of it, if you are not worried about freezing then I guess you could leave the water in there. I just store all our boats and power equipment with whatever gas is in them and no additives, never had an issue.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think it is wise to tilt it back and fire it up to kick the water out of the engine and pump. Why leave lake water sitting in the heads and pump all winter. I doubt it will hurt to leave it this year but over time it could rust some and shorten engine life.

jerkputter

Seaman
What is the safe time time to let it run? I think I read like 30 seconds? I may just do that to be sure there is no lake water left in system.

I guess there could be a situation where if I the temperature were to get to say zero and I could lose power then my basement might freeze but that has not happened in the 44 years I have lived in this house. The temps have hit zero maybe once in 20 years but never lost power. I live in the south so it is very rare to get that low.

I could be wrong but I see nothing that could be hurt by leaving the oil that came in this Sea-Doo . It looks pretty and clear and 20 hours is not very many. I know this is not a Marine engine but I bought a new John Deere mower in 2010. The manual said to drain the oil at 50 hours. I let it go to 100 and never had any problems. I wonder what the reasoning for sucking oil out of an engine at only 20 hours ? other than Sea-Doo getting my money. Just asking. and again Thanks for all the help here on this site. Tom

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
I routinely run my Seadoo on the trailer for a minute or two without water when cold.
Changing the oil on a 4 stroke isn't critical but good pvm, just like in a car.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Your Owner's Manual is very clear about off-season storage. It also is clear about the 20 hour service. In this case you need to do both, which might be one in the same.

Stabilize the gas, fog the engine and do the normal lubrication. Running it on a hose to do that will put fresh water in the system. S-D 4-strokes don't freeze so the heated basement is of no value.

Just read the directions and it'll be fine.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Agree with above poster! Regardless of where it stored, you should do all the same anyway.

As to fuel, this is a topic of great debate. Best to have the tank empty, but if not empty, best to have full. The biggest reason to worry if ethanol related fuel. If you have fuel w/o ethanol, it does not matter. If it is properly treated, you are really fine regardless.

With an empty tank, some people feel its easier to deal with the condensation issues. With a full tank, you don't get so much. If it were me, I would just let it be. As to Seafoam, great product, but probably not the best for long term lay-up, but for a few months, you will be totally fine.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The manual for my 1955 Mercury outboard motor specifies fuel stabilizer for winter storage. They didn't have E-10 back then. In fact it wasn't even unleaded back then.....LOL. Stabilizing the fuel has nothing to do with ethanol. It's just a good idea.

Storage in a heated garage should not cause condensation, so ethanol or not you're good to go.

If you get a little condensation with E-10 it'll absorb it and burn it and you're good to go. If you get ANY condensation with non-ethanol gas, you'll be dead in the water.

All my boats get the tank topped off after each use. Just makes sense to me. Nothing to worry about as far as condensation, if the price goes up I got money in the bank, plus if I decide to go for a boatride, I'm always good to go.

WaterDR

Yup...if the tank is full, no condensation. And if the temp stays the same, good to go. Until suddenly the heater quits working :)

E10 holds water. And is more corrosive. E10 does a great job preventing water separation as it will hold about .5% water by volume.

Some think E10 is better than E0. Some think the other way around. I tend to think that as long as you stick with the same blend you will have fewer issues.

There are more modern stabilizer treatments that work better with E10.

jerkputter

Seaman
He used non ethanol gas. The tank as a few gallons left in it and yes we did treat it with Sea-foam before we took it out of the water. Drove it about 3 miles wide open after putting the Sea-foam in it so we should be good there. I had also read where Sea-foam is better than Sta-Bil but no sure way of knowing this. I just had the Sea-Foam with me and that is what we used.

WaterDR

You are good to go. SF works great. I think stabil works better for longer term lay-out and I know some of their products have been tested to 2 and 3 years. Most of us only lay-up for 3 or 4 months.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
He used non ethanol gas. The tank as a few gallons left in it and yes we did treat it with Sea-foam before we took it out of the water. Drove it about 3 miles wide open after putting the Sea-foam in it so we should be good there. I had also read where Sea-foam is better than Sta-Bil but no sure way of knowing this. I just had the Sea-Foam with me and that is what we used.
So, run it on the hose for a few minutes while fogging it. While its still hot change the oil and lubricate the proper points. Do a complete inspection for loose bolts and any other oddities. Then you'll be winterized and have the 20 hour check done all in one and be ready for next year.

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are not supposed to fog seadoo 4 stokes through the intake and you will oil coat a sensor. Procedure is to remove fuel rail and fog that want. Most just oil up the cylinders.