Polaris SL 780 issues

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I just bought a 1997 Polaris SL 780. The jet ski hasn't been in the water since probably 09, being that is when the last registration ran out. So I threw fresh fuel in it and ran it a little bit and like expected was running rough and down on power. It would plane out and run about 35-40 but at top end would act like it was running out of fuel. So I rebuilt the fuel pump and three carbs, and drained the fuel water separator. When I took it back out it actually ran worse. At idle it seems to run fine, if you bump the throttle it seems like it wants to take off. As soon as you try to get in to it though it just falls on it's face. Judging by the amount of smoke it seems like it is running extremely fat, you can smell the unburnt fuel and oil. Did a plug check after that run the PTO plug has a decent burn but seems rich almost kind of wet, the Middle plug has a nice light brown colored burn, and the MAG cylinder doesn't seem to be burning well it's black and very wet. I checked the spark on all three they all seemed very weak and I could barely see them. So where should I be looking at the spark or the fuel delivery.

Next issue which just developed the other day. I have been losing all power to the starter button. If I press the reset button on the electrical center I can hear it click but it still will not start. If you take the pull cord off and put it back on and hold the reset button it will start. Once you shut it off though I have to repeat this process. So my thoughts of possible causes would be my MFD doesn't work at all so it may be shorting something out? Could it also be the result of a low battery? Also the variable trim doesn't work at all. I don't know if that could affect anything, because my friends Sea-doo's trim didn't work and that caused their MPEM to constantly short out.

Any help on this would be great and much appreciated. I have worked on snowmobiles and trucks so I am mechanically inclined but I'm very green when it comes to jet ski's

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get the carbs cleaned. If center carb runs lean, it eats the piston.

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice
I cleaned and rebuilt all three carbs and now its running even worse and really rich.

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice
That's what I figured, I'll try to reset the carbs. What about the issues I have been seeing with the electrical?