2003 Polaris Genesis 135i

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a few days ago it stopped on the lake. wouldn't crank. replaced the starter relay and replaced the battery. took to my shop and I removed the starter, then took to the local generator starter repair shop and it tested good. with the new battery, the motor will crank over 6-10 revolutions, but slowly seems like it's seizing up. the motor cranks counter clockwise, so I put a wrench on the rear crankshaft coupler and turn it clockwise about 10 degrees, with very light force. Then, it'll make another 6-10 revolutions and on and on. I tried this multiple times. I removed the rear pump, shaft and impeller thinking maybe my problem was out the rear. NOTE: when I rotate the crankshaft clockwise, I can hear a light clicking or ratcheting behind the front cover just for a short bit, as it seems like something releases, and then I can easily rotate it forward and backward with spark plugs removed. COULD there be something happening with the starter drive binding or seizing. I'm not sure exactly how the starter drive is built. I did replace the rear cylinder and piston on this machine early this spring and it was running great until now this. Also wondering if maybe the stator could have exploded and is rubbing on the flywheel? I don't think it would loosen up while rotating clockwise if the flywheel clearance was an issue

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will get beat up for this suggestion but go search green hulk site and I suspect you can find some answers. The bendix for most Polaris could cause this. The stator could also. Possible a nut came off the stator and is catching up in there. Even a flywheel problem.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the heads-up jbetzelb! I've also heard of other manufacturers with the issue of glued on weights coming loose from the flywheel. this would definitely cause flywheel to stator rub. it may be a couple months before I get to it...another winter project, but I will definitely post my findings. I'm hoping it turns out to be a starter drive issue