1997 Monte Carlo 770 Driveshaft Floating Bearing

buzzcanuk

Cadet
I'm new to the Arctic Cat line of PWC's and picked this one up this week. The guy that sold it to me mentioned the floating bearing circled below was twisting the rubber housing around it and heating up. I removed the jet and found some rope wrapped around the driveshaft, but don't think that causes the issue. I then stared it and ran it for about 10 seconds and the bearing was too hot to touch. I have a few questions:

1) Should the floating bearing heat up this hot?
2) How do Arctic Cat driveshafts pull out from the jet side? I've owned a few Polaris jet ski's and they pull out quite easy,not this one!

It starts up great and I want to hit the water but don't want this issue to turn into a bigger one. Any help would be appreciated!

image1 (2).JPG
image2 (2).JPG image3 (2).JPG

Attachments

• image1 (2).JPG
    image1 (2).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No they should not heat up - I'm guessing the bearing is in need of replacement ( or a big shot of grease into the grease zerk standing proud in front of God and country)

The rope wasn't helping, probably bound up

The impeller housing looks shot - probably had a hook on the end of the rope shock took out the housing

buzzcanuk

Cadet
Thanks Scott,

I just realized the floating bearing is seized to the driveshaft, so no wonder I couldn't pull it out the back. Any advice how to get the floating bearing off the drive shaft now? :facepalm: