99 Seadoo GTI, replaced solenoid, still just clicking when start button is pushed

KeukaBoater

Cadet
Boat ran fine last trip out, then no start with clicking. It has the 717 motor. I replaced the solenoid, expected the problem to disappear, but sounds the same. Can't see where the ground cable goes, it disappears under the engine, so I don't know how to check to see if it has a clean connection. If it's a starter issue, looks like I am in the same situation, it appears to be hidden under engine components. I considered jumping the solenoid contacts to see if the starter is working, but there is oil in the bottom of the boat from a leak, so I'm not sure a spark is a great idea....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

KeukaBoater

Cadet
Well, I read on a forum that I should remove the spark plugs and see if the PTO turns by hand... and it doesn't move.

So I guess the motor's set up, and i have a pretty fiberglass anchor, right?I

skijunk

Seaman
It's possible that the starter has locked up and is engaged into the flywheel. You will need to remove the starter to confirm. I have removed starters from sea doo's by feeding a long extension and with socket under the pipe. It's not easy but you can do it

KeukaBoater

Cadet
That's an interesting thought. I talked to my shop mechanic today, he leaned toward something being caught in the pump. It ran fine one weekend, then the next the motor rolled twice, then stopped. He agreed that it didn't make sense that the motor had set up. I don't know how anything could have gotten into the pump, the ski is kept in a lift, and never in shallow water. I would like to check your suggestion, but I don't know how to get to the starter when I can't even see it...

eavega

Lieutenant
Well, it may not be something stuck up in the pump, but to eliminate the pump from the equation you can pull the pump and disengage from the drive shaft. Try again to spin the motor by hand via the pto. If its still not moving, then you are locked up in motor itself. time to pull the heads and see what you got.

-E

skijunk

Seaman
Yes, it's possible there's something in the pump but if you rode it to the lift and raised it on the lift, I can't see how something could have gotten in there unless a snake or other critter crawled in. I would get under the ski with a flashlight and look through the intake grate to see if you can see anything in there before I took the pump out

slag

Chief Petty Officer
Oil in the bilge/hull is either oil that was spilled when filling the oil tank, or, more likely, an oil line that has become brittle and cracked or fell off. Remove the spark plugs and the rear pto cover and try to turn the engine over by hand. Could be a rock was sucked up into the intake grate, so also check that area out by getting under the craft and looking up into the intake grate area with a flashlight. Report back with findings.

KeukaBoater

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be back to the lake until this weekend, so will check things out and reply then.

Thanks again for the feedback!

KeukaBoater

Cadet
checked the intake grate, don't see anything. Will it be worthwhile to try to take the starter off to see if it is locked up? At this point I am really frustrated.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Oil in the bilge/hull is either oil that was spilled when filling the oil tank, or, more likely, an oil line that has become brittle and cracked or fell off. .

Not to be the bearer of bad news but if substantial amounts of oil are in the bilge, then the oil line might be broken off, it would then make sense that your engine would be seized due to lack of oil. If you ran it without oil it just heats up and seizes. Might try taking the starter off like you said to be sure.

Last year, we sucked up a rock in my 2004 gti and everything was toast. But if you didn't see a rock that is curious. Does the impeller and wear ring look good?

Last edited: