1995 polaris 650- two with same problem

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have two 1995 Polaris 650 SL jet skis. One I have had since 2012 and the other that is new to me within the week. we had theme out Friday. Both had engine trouble at the same time. The new ski stalled and the battery was killed trying to restart. I suspected immediately the ski needed a new battery. The other ski died after a trip around the and would only click from the cdi.

So I put the new ski on the charger and in the ski and in the morning it started right up. here's where it gets tricky. I decided to switch the battery from the old ski to the new ski (long story why) and when I put it in the new ski, it did the exact same click as the old one! I bought two new batteries at this point and both now still just click.

Where do I start?

Franzel311

Seaman
Was it real ruff out...did they die on you and u kept trying to restart till u started having trouble with the batteries? If they were running alil bit and then both knocked out I'd say u got bad gas somewhere didn't realize it and kept trying to restart till u killed batteries and possibly fried something if that's not the case they are old skis its possible from riding especially in ruff waters and jumping them a ground wire or other loosened up and that's y ur just getting a click...if ur fuel is deff not an issue I'd start at the batt connections and work my way to the electrical box then outa that to starter and startor tr hats gonna be behind ur flywheel...uv got a loose wire a bad relay or bad starter cylinoid

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The first jet ski turned out to be a seized starter. I started first by adding a ground, with not effect. I hooked up my multimeter and pressed the start button and the voltage dropped on the battery to 6.5 volts open CDI- had 12 volts on upstream side of rely and about 6 to 7 on down stream side. Removed starter via removal of exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe and sure enough, the starter motor was seized.

Will move on to second ski toward mid week and will post my result. I find it hard to believe I could have two bad starters on the same day, but I guess anything is possible.

Franzel311

Seaman
Hey sorry I havnt got back I got switched to nights and have been in lala land a since...well tr hats good u found the problem in ski one how did u make out on ski two?

candiaoh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The other ski ended up being bad starter soleiniod. I was able to test it by first hooking my meter to battery and watching for a voltage drop when the starter button was pushed. There was none. Second, I opened the electrical box and tested voltage on the starter side of the soleinoid. Again, no voltage when the starter switch was pushed. Last, I hooked a jumper from the battery to the starter side of the soleniod and it turned right over. I ordered an $11.00 solenoid, installed, and back out on the water!