Water in the engine compartment 2015 212x

LB_33

Cadet
Hey all, found out I have a very crappy stern plug that was either over tightened or damaged in another way. We had the boat out for about an hour and then came back and started feeling some good vibrations from the motors especially at low rpm in the no wake zone. Turned the bulge on and got the boat out of the water on trailer. Even my ski locker had a good amount of water in it. The bilge never automatically came on and I was able to get all water out of the compartments by parking on a very steep hill for quite some time.

Question: how do I know if I have water in the engines? Is there a worry about starting the motors up?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What motor,..?? What drive,..??

Doubtful ya got water into the motor,....

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. :welcome: More specifically, what is a 2015 212X ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. doubt you got water in the motors, however the starters and other things were probably under water. I am guessing this is a yamaha jet boat?

did you forget to put the plug in. if not, you have a hose that came off. being a 2015, you have a waranty. time to see your dealer.

LB_33

Cadet
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. Worried all night and couldn't sleep. Love the forums here. 2015 Yamaha 212x with the twin engine 180's. Hybrid wakeboard jet boat. The plug was in but when I had the boat on the trailer it was leaking water like the seals were broken. Should I go and dry out the engine department? Is there a worry about the air filters getting wet? I've owned it for over a year now and never had anything like this. I will probably end up going to the dealer but it's an 1.5 hr drive šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your supposed to pull the plug when the boat comes out of the water (never store with the plug in).

I would dry it out.

LB_33

Cadet
Yes that is correct the plug is pulled now all the way out but when I took the boat out of the water the plug was in but leaking water. When I pulled the plug water came out for 15+ minutes.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
So your garboard plug is leaking. Is it leaking through the threads or around the housing of the plug?
Is it the original OEM plug?

Last edited:

LB_33

Cadet
Original OEM plug from the factory. Appears threads are no good. I ordered a new plug already and can fix that but my main worry is any damage caused by the water.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
I'm no expert on possible damage. Someone mentioned starter. I don't know if water intrusion will permanently damage it.
I would get that boat dried out quick and give it a try before any corrosion can form in the starter. But that's my non-expert thought.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Do you really know where the leak is? Did you SEE it? If it was the drain plug its an easy fix. You have a transom plug, not a garboard plug. Maybe 2 of them.

Or, could it be leaking around the seal to one of the propellor shafts?

Drain the hull, dry it out with a fan, and then start each engine one at a time while on a hose in your driveway. If they start and run OK, then the engines are probably OK.

Look in the engine compartment while running on the trailer to be sure that the water intrusion isn't coming from the engine.

Then, put the boat idle in the water and look for the leak.

Last edited: