Sportjet 90 goes very very slow

wvdealz

Cadet
Have a 1995 Bayliner Reflexx with a Sportjet 90. Took it out today and it starts and idles easily and smooth. Opened it up and it does not plane well, nose is quite high. Engine revs, but using my gps app, the boat only goes 6 mph at full throttle. Carbs are opening up and have been cleaned. Any tips would be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

is this a new to you boat, or have you had it for some time and this problem is new?

wvdealz

Cadet
First time I've had it out..previous owner couldn't get it to start but I figured out it was a small switch in the shift box needed replaced. Started in the yard with the water adapter and it sounded good, so yesterday was my first lake test

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The boat was not a stellar performer when new. How does the impeller and wear ring look in the sport jet?

Have you done a compression test?

How old is the fuel?

wvdealz

Cadet
Fuel is a couple months old..compression of the 3 cylinders are 118, 118 and 120

wvdealz

Cadet
Checked the impeller, nothing is stuck in there, wear ring doesn't look any worse than any of my jet skis, not chewed and minimal gap

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Is the hull waterlogged?
How did the plugs look? Were any wet, or really light in color?

wvdealz

Cadet
I checked the plugs and they were fairly new. Didn't look bad, but I just changed them anyways..pulled the jet drive and turned the impeller and found no drag. Grate is good and even. Still slow..I can say 100% it is running full rpm, I have no guage, it is loud like it is..we manually opened the carbs while running in case the throttle cable wasn't fully working and no change. Possible rev limiter? I just don't understand, it idles and starts perfect

wvdealz

Cadet
Don't think the hull is water logged. There's a square hole in the floor under the dash and it doesn't have water in there

Last edited: