Jet ski barely moves with 2 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard490

Cadet
I have a 96 tigershark montego that seems to work pretty well if riding solo. Im roughly 200lbs and It can climb up to aprox 45. Throw my kid 100lbs on the back and it wont accelerate over 15 mph. The engine revs but it just doesnt want to plane and move. After a couple minutes it seems to go into limp mode. I have to let off the gas and let it idle for 30 sec or so and then it will rev up again under WOT but barely moves. Wearing? Impeller? Carb? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
It will cost nothing to look at the wear ring and impeller. There should be very, very little space between the two. If there is some gap it might be that at 200 pounds it can go but at 300 your sitting and spinning. I don't know 96 models well but I don't think there is any kind of clutch in them.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the rpms are up, its not a fuel or carb issue....most likely prop wear.

When you have two riders, you may have to both stand up and lean forward to help get on a plane.

Howard490

Cadet
I have tried to find a new wear ring but all i can find are used ones on ebay. I wonder if there is a process to sleeve them, like cylinders on an engine block?

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea, the problem is that its a 20 year old Tiger Shark. Not gonna be easy. These things may have shared parts with another maker.

Howard490

Cadet
Sorry it's realy late, but in case it helps others. I found three problems. The impeller was worn down, the carbs fuel/air mixture was way off, and the oil injection pump was not working properly. All three issues have been fixed and this 20 year old jetski flys by newer seadoos now. Thanks for the help too everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.