2016 Yamaha VX Crusier HO review

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea, yea, yea....I know people have sexy videos, but not me....just some comments.

This was a new model added in 2016 which puts a cruiser seat on a VX model and adds the amazing 1.8L HO motor rated at 185HP.

Very fun and solid machine! Amazing power and handling. It is a wet ride...make no mistake about that.

A few quirks...

The front storage compartment is not designed to stay open by itself and the unit lacks any trim adjustment. While not a big deal, there are times when it would be nice to get the nose pointed up a bit. Also, the 2016's have been reported to be a little slower over the 2015 models as they have made some tweaks to the hull.

But very happy with it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Glad you are happy. That's all that counts.

We bought a 2015 FX Cruiser so let me make some comparisons. We traded in a 2002 SD GTX 4-Tec so I can compare that as well.

We've been riding for 25 years, all SD's before the Yami. We have been delighted at how dry the ride is. We upgraded our SD with a splash guard on the bow so we could ride in cooler weather without needing a wet suit. The Yami needs no mods.

The 1.8 is an awesome engine. Our son has a SD supercharged 180hp GTX and we blow him out of the water all day long. Not just top speed, but acceleration as well. Fuel economy even beats our 155hp GTX.

No problems with the front storage compartment. Its not the size we had with the SD, but I can still fit a cooler with a day's worth of beer......LOL. A typical afternoon for us is a 50-60 mile run, with a few stops to swim.

We have been SDers all along but now we are Yami converts all the way. (Did I mention how easy it is to service the motor, replace the battery, etc.)

Last edited:

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Great comments. As I have the VX hull it's a little smaller and a bit more nimble...and I suspect a wetter ride. I get soaked in it.