Oil in cylinder

I've got a Kawasaki 650 TS, when I tried starting it for the first time this year it fired right up for an instant then wouldn't crank. Upon investigation I found a bunch of oil in the #2 cylinder. I'm talking a LOT of oil, like maybe a 1/8" to 1/4" deep puddle in the cylinder. Got it all out with paper towel, tried to fire it up again with the same results.

Here's my theory, someone tell me if I'm on the right track or if I'm all wet: My guess is that while the ski was parked a lot of oil has leaked through the oil pump, through the intake, and has accumulated in the crankcase.

I'm also thinking this is a good reason to get rid of the oil injection and go with pre-mix - if I do that can I just block off the oil lines or will I need to actually remove the oil pump?

Last edited:

zdeyonker

Seaman Apprentice
I would suggest a bad injection pump. If you block off the lines, completely drain them and the tank first. I would suggest buying a block off plate. Mine was about $10 on the bay, and it removes the whole mess, looks a lot cleaner in there now! If you run premix, do it between 46:1 and 50:1 ratio. 50:1 is just about perfect, more oil just plays safe and loses a little top end. Also pull off the intake manifold and the reed cages will slide right out, then you can easily check for, and if necessary, remove any oil in there. My oil tank leaked into the hull over winter before I decided enough was enough. If that was the case on yours, check all entry ways on your crank case. Another suggestion of high import is to remove and plug the passages for the crankcase drain if not done yet. If yours is still there, just tip the ski towards port side a little and pull the knob, should see oil coming out if it in fact pooled in the crankcase.