2002 Yamaha 800 xlt issues

radiotoaster

Cadet
I have a 2002 800 xlt. It seems to run fine when the gas tank is full, once it burns through about a 1/4 of the tank it stays running yet the rpms drops and feels like it is starving for fuel.Sometimes i can get it going again back to normal by turning and aggressively pitching it and bouncing it around a bit along with playing with the throttle and sometimes I do all of that and it wont start running right. I am not sure if the problem is a fuel problem or it is coincidental with the fuel level. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can any one point me to something to check first.. Ski has 115 hours on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

jeffg42669

Cadet
Pull the fuel sender out if the tank, chances are good the little flap door on the bottom of it is warped. Yank it off and put the sender back in the tank. Also check that your fuel selector isn't gummed up internally on the valve. Both of those are somewhat notorious problem areas on those Yama skis, doesn't make them bad skis- all have their issues. Being an older ski, the issues are well known