2000 Waverunner SUV slipping

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
This is a recent acqusition for me. First Jet boat. Every so often it feels like a clutch is slipping. Cavitation I'm told? Is that it? Is the clearance between the prop and the housing too big? It has around 130 hours on it. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
What do you mean by slipping every time you nail the throttle does the engine rev way up and the wave runner not accelerate? That could be cavitation from a clogged inlet also the impeller could be damaged or the wear ring is worn(clearance you mention). Look in the jet pump and see if the plastic wear ring is gouged or there is a gap around the edge. Also look for nicks and other damage to impeller. At 130 hours a wear ring is likely. If you are mechanically inclined not a big deal to do.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Not every time. Very occasionally. I've read that there is a plastic wear ring on the Sea Doo's but the Yamaha is different, It's an entire metal housing? And the boats in the water, far from a ramp. So it's hard to look at it.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you sure when you sense this slip you aren't going through floating leaves or seaweed, something blocking your water intake. Maybe jumping slightly over a wake.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok...there is no clutch as far as I know, so nothing to slip! It's a direct drive. There is no transmission so no clutch. If the rpms go up, the prop turns....period.

SUVs have terrible cavitation issues and don't hook that well.

Pull the machine. Have someone shine a bright light up the intake grate while you look inside the nozzle. You should barely see any light between the wear ring and the prop.

You can also visit a Yamaha dealer and buy or borrow some metal strips that they use for measuring clearance. Any degradation will cause cavitation. Any chips or damage in the prop will cause cavitation.

Replacing the prop and wear ring is a pain in the ass. It's about a 1500 job for the dealer (I think). Parts alone are about 400 to 750 (I think). Been a while since I checked.

However, if you need to do it, do it. It will wake up the machine and NEVER, run sand through it. Never.

At 130 hours it could be worn. Mine had 175 when I sold it and needed to be replaced though ran fine.

You will still make 51 mph with some wear but hooking up will be harder.

jeffg42669

Cadet
To replace the wear ring you have two options:
New pump w stainless ring (how they come OEM)
Take existing pump and have it machined to accept a plastic wear ring (cheaper to do, will last about 80hrs, maybe more)
First thing you should do is buy a pump seal kit and seal the pump, that reduces cavitation a lot and is considered a must-do item by the crowd that rides them the most. From the factory those early 2000's Yamas had a lot of cavitation from the start, the xlt, sub, and gpr - all same issue in pump. Seal kit does help a lot, I've done mine.
Also, an aftermarket intake grate will help along w a performance prop like a Solas. Seal the pump first, R&D makes the kit, about $80 +a tube of 3M 4200.
Lots of info on how to do it, Google it