95 SeaDoo XP 717 poor performance

axman

Cadet
I have a 95 Sea Doo XP 717 that I have rebuilt the carbs on and don't believe I adjusted them correctly. Can anyone give me some pointers on getting them adjusted? Right now I believe it's running lean as the plugs are rather bright and clean. It fires up well and will try to get out of the hole decently but falls on its face shortly after.

eavega

Lieutenant
If it idles well and doesn't hesitate as you roll throttle, but stumbles as you open up the throttle wide, look to your needle valve pop-off pressure. Mid throttle lives and dies by pop-off pressure. I'm not sure what the pop-off value should be for the 717 in the 95 XP, but I am sure that information is easy to find in the shop manual.

Rgds
-E

axman

Cadet
Ya I was kind of wondering about that. It will come up to full WOT RPM for about the first run then it doesn't wanna come to WOT. I'm on vacation now and was hoping to be able to rectify it by just adjusting high and low. May have to play with pop off when I get back. I just rebuilt the carbs so I thought it would be OK but guess I should double check