Oil and fuel in my cylinders

Aqualungz

Recruit
I have a 1996 Seadoo GTX 800. Problem is it will only turn over for a second. Removed plugs and it turns over. Although fuel and oil sprayed out. Mainly oil I believe. I just filled the oil tank a couple weeks ago and it has been sitting and I think I overfilled it. I am also seeing oil in bottom of hull. Since I cant see how much oil I just filled it. From what I read in the forums that seems to be my problem. Should I just remove some oil from reservoir and turn it over to clean out cylinders and be good or is there more I need to do? PWC has new carbs and fuel lines just put on before I bought them and I am not to familiar with these. I have two of them and the other one is fine but I didn't fill that tank as much as this one. Thanks in advance!

Aqualungz

Recruit
Update, all oil is gone and it turns over fine but no spark now. I did remove and replace battery. All connections tight. Any ideas? PWC ran great two weeks ago.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Which way are you testing for spark? Holding plugs against the block and seeing if it jumps the plug gap?

Oil soaked plugs can be shorted and have the electricity go through the oil instead of jumping, thus no useful spark.

Try new plugs.

Aqualungz

Recruit
I put brand new plugs in gapped correctly. Held.plug to top of head and cranked. Are there any fuses I may have blown when swapping battery out?

Aqualungz

Recruit
Which way are you testing for spark? Holding plugs against the block and seeing if it jumps the plug gap?

Oil soaked plugs can be shorted and have the electricity go through the oil instead of jumping, thus no useful spark.

Try new plugs.
Just tried another set of plugs and now I have spark. But will not fire up now.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
You only need 3 things for the engine to fire. Spark, fuel and compression. You now have spark. How about the other 2? If you turn it over with out plugs, can you smell gas in the spark plug holes? You mention oil was blowing out the holes before, so it sounds like you have compression. How about putting a few drops of fuel in the cylinders, putting the plugs back in, turning it over, will it fire? If so, you have a fuel delivery issue.

Aqualungz

Recruit
You only need 3 things for the engine to fire. Spark, fuel and compression. You now have spark. How about the other 2? If you turn it over with out plugs, can you smell gas in the spark plug holes? You mention oil was blowing out the holes before, so it sounds like you have compression. How about putting a few drops of fuel in the cylinders, putting the plugs back in, turning it over, will it fire? If so, you have a fuel delivery issue.

I have spark and I just tried pouring a little fuel into each cylinder and starting it. It will crank over but will not fire.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Go get a compression tester ( they are not expensive, < 40 dollars, maybeetc auto zone you can rent/ borrow one) and see what the compression is. Search Google for what you should expect, but I would think the minimum is 100 psi per cylinder.
Edit: do you have a factory service manual? You can find them on google for the 800 engine
Edit2 : http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/1996-seadoo.php

Last edited: