Ski Doo questions

WyoAZ91

Cadet
JetSki3.jpe Hi everyone here at iboats! I'm new to the site and would like to introduce myself. What better way to say hi than to ask a question right!? ;) So here it is. The other day I happened to stumble upon a couple Sea Doo jet skis that are pretty haggard. Thought to myself it would be a good little project and possibly some fun once up and running. So heres my question(s). I want to go into this sale as informed as possible because technically they aren't for sale. Just sitting in a shop yard. There are 2 skis both 1994 Sea Doo bombardier SPX. Now, when in good condition, how's the reliablility of these machines? Also, how much could they potentially sell for once up and running in good condition? Like I said they are in really rough shape. There are a lot of obvious problems at first sight which I'm not worried about. What I need to know is common problems these machines have and what to watch out for internally. The more information on these skis the better if at all possible would help tremendously and would be greatly appretiated! I will say, from looking at them I dont think I will even consider buying them if the price excedes $400 for both skis plus trailer. Here are some pics. JetSki2.jpe Jet Ski.jpe

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In immaculate condition they might sell for 2k each.

Some basic questions...

Do they have motors? Are the hulls cracked? If they have motors, do they turn? Do they have compression? What to the props look like?

My advice? Run! Run far away! Don't look back, keep running.

eavega

Lieutenant
In immaculate condition they might sell for 2k each.

I'd venture more along the lines of perhaps $1000 each TOPS if in running condition (at least around here)

Some basic questions...

Do they have motors? Are the hulls cracked? If they have motors, do they turn? Do they have compression? What to the props look like?

If you can't hook up a battery and get them to at least turn over and test compression and spark, I'd not even consider it. The electronic modules on those are about $200 alone. If the do turn over you can practically guarantee that you are going to have to re-plumb the whole fuel system, as well as rebuild both carburetors to the tune of about $60 per car kit x4. Even with compression and spark you are looking at a few hundred dollars apiece to get them presentable and running. For $400 you are basically buying the double trailer. The skis are probably not even desirable for parts, as the 657 engine was not used after 1995.

My advice? Run! Run far away! Don't look back, keep running.

I second that emotion

-E