2003 waverunner 1200 SUV won't start without starting fluid.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Obviously it's something to do with fuel not being pumped. When it has been sitting a day or two I have to use starting fluid to get it to start. Normally it will go all day, maybe 2 or 3 days sitting before I have to use starting fluid. The problem is getting worse. When cold I can get it started then putter around for a couple minutes before it catches up and blasts off. If I run with choke on a little it does okay for a while but a mile or so up the lake and it will die even if I'm running WOT. I can choke it and it will crank right up again. Sounds to me like a fuel pump and check valve issue. Anybody got knowledge of this kind of problem? I bought this scooter off a guy who moved out of state and it had been sitting on his dock for a couple of years with an almost brand new SBT engine in it. It runs pretty good at WOT but can hardly keep it running unless I'm about 35 mph or more.

Not very experienced with the yamahas but this happened to a 97 spx I had, only it would completely die when not being fed starting fluid. It ended up being a deteriorated fuel line(from a fuel additive i used...big no no I found out!). I took the flame arrestor off and there were black flecks all over it and the manifold. I had to replace all fuel lines and clean the flame arrestor, manifold, and carburetor, huge pain in the a**! Not sure if any of this helps but my best guess is either that or a carb adjustment problem, but I would definite pull a fuel line off and see if there's any deterioration.

RandyJ

Yep. Old gas is a common problem in water toys. Craps up everything

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 SUV.

Do this...get rid of any old fuel. Run some seafoam in it.

Replace the plugs.

Clean the plug connectors very well! I used electrical contact cleaner and cotton swabs. Get all the old carbon off.

I am 80% sure it will cure the problem.

RandyJ

We ride it quite often and recently ran out of gas so I'm pretty sure the gas is fresh. It is time to check the plugs so maybe I'll do that this weekend. I do know waverunners are notorious for not keeping gas up to the carbs and primer kits help with that issue but it is ridiculous to me that it should be necessary.... that's the job of a fuel pump and a check valve in the fuel line

jeffg42669

Cadet
Check the fuel check valve (it's above fuel tank just above sender) should flow toward tank but not out.
When starting these skis, pump the snot out of the throttle repeatedly. The carbs have an accel pump on them that squirts into carb 1&3 up to about 1/4-1/2 throttle. That action acts basically as a prime and helps get fuel going into carbs after sitting.