Looking at older model jet ski

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey folks, I will hopefully be going tomorrow to check out a 1996 Sea Doo jet ski...what kinds of things should i be looking at? I assume that you can crank these in the yard with the snorkel thingy i use to crank my boat in the yard with? I don't know much at all about jet skis, but supposedly, this one is "lake ready". I know that at that age it's not gonna be in pristine condition, but this will be kind of a "supplement" to our boat, so I'm not worried so much about its cosmetics. Thanks for any advice!

alldodge

Staff member
You can crank the ski up on the trailer without water going to it. There are no rubber impellers, just don't let it run more then a couple minutes.

Being a 2-stroke you going to use oil, so it is either mixed or injected. If injected look close at the tank, many have been know to split at the seam. Going to hard to see but try to look under it into the pump at the impeller and wear ring.

As with any other boat, it should be driven before buying

jotisbrown

Seaman Apprentice
They generally have water hose hookups around the exhaust or the head. Check the compression the the cylinders, make sure the plugs are grounded and all and the battery is fully charged. Look at the impeller, is it beat to death? Is it stainless or aluminum? check the lines, are they cracked? Send pics of the motor and stuff, those old seadoos can be a lot of fun! Ive been working on skis for years! All kawasakis tho!

gary2016

Recruit
older skis are the only way to go. I have purchased three with the newest being a 97 gtx. sure they have cosmetic issues but the price is right and if you get them at a good price you can afford to put a liitle cash into them and sell them later with out taking a bath.

I know this is an older thread, but to others looking at older skiis, if you can't put it in water to test run, make sure you have some way to run water into the cooling system. Have the water on while the ski is off and run your hands all along the motor where the water jacket would cool the cylinders checking for leaks or use a mirror on a stick to look for visible leaks. I purchased a used ski years ago and only started it dry before I bought it, got it home put it in the water and almost sank due to the water jacket being cracked and filling my ski up. This happens when a ski is not properly winterized and water is left in the motor over winter. I would've gotten burned on it if it wasn't for my redneck ingenuity 😏 an extendable automotive mirror, some sanding, and half a tube of marine JB weld later and it's still holding strong with 0 leakage after about 6+ years.

eavega

Lieutenant
I know this is an older thread, but to others looking at older skiis, if you can't put it in water to test run, make sure you have some way to run water into the cooling system. Have the water on while the ski is off...

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

I don't know about other brands, but if you do that to a Sea Doo, you will force water back into the engine and the carburetors, and hydrolock the motor. The correct procedure for running on a hose is to hook up your hose, start the ski, THEN turn on the water. Run it for no more than 5 minutes, as the drive shaft is meant to be cooled by sitting in the water, and while it is rotating there is no cooling on the hose. Leaving it running too long could warp your drive shaft or cause the carbon seal to fail. The opposite process when shutting down; shut off the water first, THEN shut off the motor.

Rgds

E

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Have the water on while the ski is off and run your hands all along the motor where the water jacket would cool the cylinders checking for leaks or use a mirror on a stick to look for visible leaks.
OMG, in my 20 years or so of reading threads on internet forums, this is singly the worst advice i have ever seen. Obviously the poster is just talking and has no knowledge about 'skis.

Secondly, older skis are NOT the way to go. You will end up paying more $ than you ever expected, plus your 'ski will be in the shop being fixed every time you want to ride it.

Amnybody buying a 2-stroke these days is just asking for trouble.

If you want to save money, buy a CD.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a water hook up on the left rear. fun lil unit, work well if maintained, and there's nothing more fun than a 2-stroke on the water!
make sure to check the seals up front, and install a bilge pump for peace of mind.....