Looking for an older model Jet Ski

Take Em1

Recruit
Ok I am brand new to the Jet Ski world. I am looking for advice in purchasing an older model jet ski and am looking for all the advice I can get. The sole purpose of this purchase is just to get back and forth to different fishing spots (Saltwater). Speed is not that important as it sounds that most units will run 40+. I will be wade fishing so most likely running protected water. Will mount running lights and rod holders....I will have to figure out carrying a small ice chest. I will probably run less than 5 miles each trip.

I am looking to spend around $2,000 and want to try and get something as reliable as possible. Just 1 passenger and maybe another from time to time. It seems that the Yamaha's and Sea Doo's are available in my price range. I am going to stay away from Honda and Tiger Shark due to them not being built anymore. It sounds like what I have read so far the Kawasaki's a less reliable than the Yamaha's and Sea Doo's.

I love to hear knowledgeable and experienced peoples thoughts and suggestions.

I would also like to get some ballpark figures as to the different repairs that I can probably expect as I use the ski. I have no idea as to the cost to have one of these motors rebuilt. Carb reworked, etc.

I would appreciate all the information I can get. Thanks in advance. :)

eavega

Lieutenant
Well, $2K will get you a running ski, but certainly not a powerhouse PWC. Look to 90's - early 2K vintage, two stroke, carbureted. I tend to avoid oil injection and prefer instead to premix. Oil injection vs premix is a debate in the PWC community akin to which kind of oil is best. Another brand to put on your "do not buy" list is anything from Polaris that is DI/fuel injected. I've heard it said that their DI system is the reason Polaris got out of the PWC business. In terms of fishing platforms, I've heard the Kawasaki TS models are VERY stable platforms for fishing. They are certainly not speed demons as they are fairly heavy for the 650cc engine they have on them. Personally I have a Seadoo that I brought back from the grave. Its a 95 SPX with a 657cc engine in it. It was pretty simple to work on, and fun for water recreation, but I can't say its the most stable thing in the world, especially if there is additional weight on it. I've always been a fan of Yamaha. I've found their skis to be very stable even when riding 2-up. I think the fact that a lot of rental businesses carry Yamaha exclusively speaks to how reliable those machines are.
In terms of what you can expect to have to do on them, its all the basics; on a ski of unknown origin - check compression and spark. If it runs, then you are ahead of the game, but I would still probably at least inspect the carburetors (rebuild if necessary). The Seadoo and Kawasaki have Mikuni carburetors which don't use floats like boat carbs, but rather use a spring-loaded needle valve to regulate fuel, so they need to be checked with a pressure tester. They also have fuel filters built into the carbs which need to be checked and replaced if necessary. If there is any grey fuel line, it needs to all be replaced. Apparently the grey (TEMPO) fuel line was not ethanol resistant and will dissolve and clog your carburetors with goo. Along with the fuel line would be any other fuel system component like the water separator filter, fuel pickup, etc. For my seadoo, the carb rebuild was about $100 just for the kits (everyone always says to get genuine Mikuni carb kits and not aftermarket stuff), 25 ft of fuel line was about $20, new filters and fuel selector was another $30. I also had to replace the jet pump wear ring ($65). I could probably use a new impeller on mine, which price out to somewhere between $100 used to $300 new.
I've never priced a new motor, but I do see that its not uncommon to do a top end or crank rebuild. A whole new motor goes for around $600 for a two-cylinder two stroke.
Hope this mish-mash of information is some help.

Rgds
E

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
I am not seeing where you live but you should check local boating laws because as a rule skies are not allowed on the water after dark, and it would be a bad idea to do that even if you somehow can. I might suggest you buy a small older jet boat. or a gheenoe with a engine or a small inflatable. I have various setups for my skies. including electric trolling motors. I throw a 7foot net off the back, troll for grouper with pole holders and all sorts of add on and removable mods for fishing so I strongly recommend you do some more research on this idea.