Jet ski lift install questions

Skyrydr

Cadet
I am planning to install a 1200 lb Roto Mag Swinger PWC lift from Magnum Boat Lifts onto an existing 8" dock piling. It will be supporting a Kawasaki STX-15F that weighs approximately 950 lbs with full fuel and oil. The manufacturer of the lift said that an 8" piling would be strong enough to support the lift and jet ski so long as it is attached to the dock and in good condition. I spoke to a person who installs pilings, and he said that dock pilings are normally only driven 5 feet into the ground and that it could cause my whole dock to fall down and that I really should have a 10" diameter piling driven 10 feet into the ground to support a jet ski and lift. He quoted $500 for the piling installation.

Do you guys think the existing dock piling will be strong enough to support this lift and jet ski or do I really need to have a new piling installed? I'm wondering if the piling installer was just trying to sell me another piling.

alldodge

Staff member
Wish I had an answer for ya, but it could go either way. Guess you could install as-is and watch the dock. Put a level on the piling and record how it sits. Then over time see if it starts leaning more. Don't see if just falling over night, and the other pilings will help hold.

Again never messed with them so just my thought

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sky, that's a lot of ski that you'll be putting on that lift and piling. Just like you, I'd be concerned, too. A month ago, I was about to buy a used Dolphin brand, 1000lb electric lift that can swing/rotate over and onto the dock. I research the mounting and it most definitely needed to be mounted over a piling. I'd been talking with the seller over the course of a few weeks as I researched the installation. Then I decided that I was going to buy it. I called at about 11am and the seller said someone had already stopped by earlier in the morning and paid for the lift :blue: .

One week later, a smaller 750lb Lil Lifter electric lift came up for sale. I waited about one nanosecond and snatched it up! 300 bucks!

I'm only planning on my smallest, lightest ski going on this small lift. My 1994 Yamaha WaveRaider is 387 lbs dry. Holds 10 gallons of gas and a gallon of 2-stroke oil. Probably 450 lbs full of fluids. Half the weight of your loaded up ski!

If I were you, I'd try to get a second opinion on the piling. I'd rather have "too much" piling rather than too little however I do realize that money is always a factor.

If you get a second opinion, let us know what it is.