2015 Sea-Doo GTX IS 260 or 2015 Yamaha FX SHO?

OKRAM

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to the PWC world and in the market for a newer ski. I've narrowed my purchase down to either a 2015 Sea-Doo GTX IS 260 or 2015 Yamaha FX SHO? There are things about each PWC I like - and we're looking for something ultra reliable with a kick to it...and will fit my wife, daughter and myself. I couldn't find any updated info in this forum on the Sea-Doo 'Closed Loop' cooling system vs. the Yamaha water-cooled system.

Of the PWCs from, say, 2013-2015, on average which brand would you say is BOTH reliable and relatively easy to work on? Or all they all pretty equal these days?

I just want to make sure I give them all a fair shake and don't rule out a brand or model based on a bad assumption or misconception. I also realize this sort of thread could turn into a "religious battle" and that's not my intent.
smile.gif

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
My opinion:

Both reliable and both hard to work on. Going for the SHO or the 260 means you will have a supercharger, more power, more maintenance, take more to winterize and even less room to work on. If you got either one without the supercharger you would have less hp but pretty much bullet proof. Difference between 260 and 215 hp is 70 or 50 mph, both cruse all day long at 35 to 40 mph.

Only thing I don't like about the Yam is the water spout, but this can be closed off.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have been 100% SeaDoo since the early 1990's. Wouldn't consider another. Always had the top-of-the-line GTX. They ride better, go faster, more stable, etc., etc., etc. But, just removing the freakin battery is a chore, the closed cooling system is just another exra thing to maintain, and winterizing requires removing the entire seat assembly brackets. But I put up with all that because its just a better machine.

The Yamis were butt ugly, didn't ride as well and were tippy when I rode 3 up. Forget about the easy manitenance, too many negatives.

Fast forward to 2015.....we decided to buy a new 'ski.

We like to cruise all day and cover a lot of territory. The new SeaDoos have eliminated a lot of storage space. The new colors look trashy. The ease of maintenance has not improved....We decided to go over to the dark side....

The new Yamis have an awesome profile and the colors look rich. The amenities are better. The new seat profile and materials are awesome - super comfortable. The storage space is not like I'm used to, but its adequate. The RIDE system is simply awesome and the cruise control and no-wake mode let us ride for hours without getting a sore thumb. The handling acceleration and fuel economy are fantastic. I did an oil change in 1/2 hour and winterized in about 20 minutes. The battery comes out literally in a minute.

We bought the kit and closed off the water spout, but turned it back on in the heat of the Summer and we found out we like it......LOL.

Ours is the FXHO cruiser. I can't say how much tighter the SHO model is for maintenance cause I never looked. After having both a supercharged SeaDoo and a NA model at the same time, I know I'd never get another SC. Too much maintenance and wasted fuel, with no advantage (IMHO). My 1500 NA Yami will blow my son's 4-TEC SC 180 out of the water all day long, both in acceleration and top speed, with a lot less gas.

Chevys beat Fords and Mercruisers beat Volvos, but I'm not "religious" about any 'ski. As the designs and markets change I could go either way. But, IMHO, in the 2013-2015 vintage Yamaha has all the others beat.

Last edited:

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Remember there is much higher fuel consumption and premium fuel costs on supercharged skies plus what was previously said about maintenance and initial cost . I have had just about all there is and I will only buy Yamaha fx ho cruisers 180 hp only real marine engine and way less maintenance, most reliable skies I have ever owned and very comfortable , great for water sports also plus they run on regular fuel .

Last edited: