Yamaha xlt800 electrical fault

Philiphehir11

Recruit
Hi there, I have a yamaha xlt 800cc jetski.
Not 100% sure what year but maybe around 2002.
Anyway the ski sank about 5 years ago and was immediately sorted out I got it running again and engine mechanics seem perfectly fine ! It will start and run fine but after a while on the water it just abruptly stops running.it seems very intermittent it has no obvious reasons why it cuts. It could run for 5 minuses or half an hour but eventually it will stop. It just wasn't safe and At the time the hassle and cost was too much so I parked it up for the last 5 years and am only now looking at getting her going again.
Im only presuming it's an electronic problem. Possibly the ecu ?
Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Well the last 2 digits of the serial number are the year so that will solve your year mystery pretty easily.
Normally when a Yamaha does what your ski did the first thing I check is the kill switch on the handlebars, if water gets inside that switch it will kill the engine as you described. Other things to check are the ground connection from the battery and the electrical connections for the ecu . After sitting 5 years there is a list of things to do starting with totally cleaning the fuel system changing the battery making sure the crank bearings are ok and the cylinders and rings are ok. if you put it away with fogging oil in the engine those things are probably fine.

Philiphehir11

Recruit
Thanks Jeff ! How would I check crank bearings are good ? Any way of doing it without taking everything apart.
I went to start it earlier today but all I got out of it was either the starter or the solenoid clicking. It sounds as if it's siezed. Il try turn it over with a bar in a couple of days once the oil has been sitting a while.
Will the cards need a rebuild aswell ? Or just a drain ?