Which battery for jet ski davitt winch?

Skyrydr

Cadet
I'm planning to use a 12 volt electric winch attached to a davitt on my seawall to hoist my Kawasaki Stx-15f into my yard. The jet ski weighs about 900 pounds. Do you think a standard group 24F car battery would work for this, or do I really need to use a deep cycle marine battery? Would I need more than one battery? I will need to lift it about about 8 feet into the air using a 2000lb winch before setting it down.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that would depend on the winch you are using on the davit. If your winch is 12 volt, a single battery should suffice, the size of the battery will be dependent on the current draw of the winch. I would personally go with a group 31 vs a 24.

if your winch is 24 volt, you will need 2 batteries.

However on a seawall, I would recommend 120 volt AC winch and a GFCI circuit breaker.

I am assuming manual rotation on the davit.

Skyrydr

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. Yes, manual davit rotation. I could use a 120v AC winch, but those are a couple hundred dollars and I already own a 2000 lb DC winch I bought a few years ago at Harbor Freight but never used. I figured I'd use it for this davitt setup. I'll look for a group 31 or stronger battery. I was planning on using a solar battery charger setup mounted to the battery box, so I wouldn't have to worry about charging the battery.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldn't use a harbor freight winch. They are not rated for lifting.