AGM Battery Suggestions

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
IMHO, no PWC should come with a flooded lead acid battery. The battery in my 1 year old Yami will be replaced this Spring with an AGM. What's the general consensus?....what's the best today?....An Odyssey, a Deka, or another brand?

The Rooster

Ensign
Jim, I replaced the Yusa in my FX-HO after 2 years. It was getting weaker. Went w/ a DEKA ETX 16 L. Great choice for an AGM style. I believe it's 325 cca vs. 245 for the Yusa. Good luck !!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Spend the money and take your chances. I'm 0 for 6 with AGM. Diagnosed a pair of fried ones on a boat last weekend. $690 worth of batteries that lasted a season.

A sealed lead acid battery is for the most part just as sealed as an AGM

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
On my motorcycle, I only use AGMs because the vibration kills the flooded lead acid ones. AGMs will last close to 5 years where FLA last one year max in my application

As with any battery, keep them fully charged at all times. Most batteries fail because of owner neglect.

I use Odyssey on my motorcycle. The FLAs I used were Yuasa.

I have 2 Odysseys on my boat.

For both my boat and motorcycle, I use a Odyssey recommended charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I used an Odyssey in a PWC years ago, then switched to Deka when I bought a new 'ski.. A friend had issues with an Odyssey, and the dealer said he had a whole shipment that were bad and he had to replace all under warranty. Three years ago I had a Deka fail and the dealer wouldn't warranty it because I bought it online. (He claimed the sn showed it was over 5 years old.)

I guess they all have issues. I was just fishin to see what the current experiences were.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had Odyssey pc625s in my two waverunners and they only lasted 3 years. Just bought Deka ETX 16Ls to replace them for a third less and they have about 50 more CCAs than the same size Odysseys had. Hoping they'll last longer then 3 years!

I ordered them thru Lowes website---they had the best price--the free delivery to the closest store took about a week.

Last edited: