Sea Rayder Jet Sport 90 Sputters and dies

It was running great! We beached it, the back end was pushed into shore do to waves. Should of double anchored. After that we went tubing. While tubing, engine cut to half power. I killed it, waited five min and she started right up. Then it did the same thing. I limped it back to the dock and it got worse and worse. It died 200ft before the dock. Back at the dock it fired right up. Took it home and it fired right up with water hooked up and idilled for ten min. I'm thinking overheated due to clogged water cooling line from beaching it. Mind you I have no working alarm. Or its a fuel problem. I was thinking it was the anti siphon valve because it takes fuel at the gas station really slowly. Vent problem? So I took out the fuel line connection and there was no asv..? There is a vent line attached to the front of the tank but I've yet to reach it. It runs separately to an exterior vent by the gas cap. When I blow into the vent air comes out of the fuel line (currently unattached). I also checked for water in fuel, none in water fuel filter, replaced it and fuel filter anyway. Help please

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

The ASV is on the main fuel line going to the fuel filter. Don't know about the Sea Rayder but look for the barbed fitting at the tank that the rubber fuel line is connected to. Does sound like you may have a fuel restriction or fuel pump problem

Yeah I took that apart. No asv there. Only a ball shut off. The tank vent is clogged though because gas goes into tank really slow. Would that also affect the fuel supply to the engine?

alldodge

Staff member
Yeah I took that apart. No asv there. Only a ball shut off. The tank vent is clogged though because gas goes into tank really slow. Would that also affect the fuel supply to the engine?

If you can blow air in through the vent it's not clogged. Now if the vent is clogged it will reduce the fuel volume by creating a vacuum in the tank as gas is used by the engine. So if you motor is running real bad and not getting fuel, if you open the gas cap and the engine comes back to life, then yes the vent is clogged. On the same line, if you open the gas cap and nothing changes then the vent is not the issue.

Some gas tanks have problems taking gas fast because the way the fill hose goes to the tank, and some cases the vent hose is not large enough

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
You may have trash inside your fuel tank , as you run the trash collects on the fuel pickup inside the tank and restricts it's flow, when you turn it off the trash falls off the pickup and the fuel obstruction goes away for a time but it then repeats itself, I had a tank that somehow had some leaves inside it and it did the same thing , fortunately I had 2 separate saddle tanks and switching to the other tank solved the issue immediately so I narrowed it down fast, emptied the fuel from the tank pulled off the sending unit plate and looked inside to see a hand full of leaves.

Found the problem! Tank can't valve on outside body by the ski hook was 100% clogged. I took out and couldn't even blow through it. Took some good pics but the forum says it's too big. Soaking in CLR tonight. If it's not unclogged tomorrow I'll buy new. I'll test it on water and confirm my starving engine of fuel theory. Tank was becoming a vacuum and eventually cutting off the flow.

Well I thought I found the problem. The rank vent is fixed. I took it to the marina to test it and it wouldn't start. I installed a primer bulb but o didn't realize it has to be facing vertically to work. I cranked the engine with choke until the battery was weak and got nothing. I took out the primer bulb and switched batteries but I think it was flooded by then. That or coincidentally I'm not getting spark. It started right up the night before we left though. I'm going to switch plugs tomorrow and try again. I pray I didn't fix one problem just to find another one. If it starts then I just fauled the plugs and or it was flooded.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Hmmm the dreaded bad rectifier that destroys the brain , quite typical for that engine .
People will tell you to change the field windings to the new ones when you change the brain but if the rectifier is bad you just fry the new brain, been there done that , I install a heavy relay switch on the red wire to the battery to create an open circut when the key is switched off to prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me instructions for operating the throttle while starting. I'm not confident what to do with the silver pull out knob on the throttle while starting. I know there is a neutral switch to the engine and I'm afraid I'm not starting it properly.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Ok many years ago I posted a very detailed explanation as to why the brains fry instantly , one minute the engine is running , you shut it off and then there is no spark. I spent a lot of time researching the cause and the solution. I guess if you did a search you could find the post. I really hate typing so I have no desire to do that post again sorry.

Well I don't seem to get allot of attention on here... But for what it's worth, it was the plugs. I changed them and it fired right up. It's nice when your theory checks out

alldodge

Staff member
Well I don't seem to get allot of attention on here... But for what it's worth, it was the plugs. I changed them and it fired right up. It's nice when your theory checks out

I'm sorry to agree with you as there are not many which know these machines very well here. I fix my own but no expert here. As for the spark plugs, that sounds great, do know when I had a 2-stroke seadoo this was an annual thing and a great looking spark plug can be bad. One of the best places to get info about watercraft is greenhulk.com, the site has a lot of folks there and are willing to help. Have used them my self a few times.