engine rebuild

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Per the manual (as I posted earlier, the specifications are in section 2.4 of the service manual) the initial settings for the mixture screws are: Low Speed=1 1/8 +-1/4 turn open from full seat. High Speed: 1 +- 1/4 turn open from full seat.

-E

That is very good info from the book. Here is something I discovered years ago when I owned Kawasaki 2 stroke skies, the ignition coil spark plug core wires turn to dust literally, I had some on a 97 that would work for a few minutes when the engine was cold, but then the engine would just bog down , exactly as you describe. I tore the carbs apart constantly looking for the culprit. I would strongly suggest you remove the spark plug boots from the end of the wires and use a pair of needle nose pliers pull on the core wires they are metal, if they are good they will not pull out or even move, if they are bad the cores will just pull out and then show no wire at all in the middle . if this is the case I can tell you how to replace just the wires without the need to replace the coils.