Wear Ring Issue

alldodge

Staff member
Did the freezer thing and removed the old wear ring. Took the new 155mm ring from the freezer and slide it in part way and it started dragging a bit. Pulled back out and measured with a micrometer and was the same thickness as the old one in non-wear areas. Put it back on and pushed it down into the housing, was pretty stiff getting in, but its all the way in.

The wear in the old wear ring is not perfectly even all around, little more in a couple areas. The issue is now, I cannot turn the impeller, pretty stuck. I'm thinking the starter will have an issue if it is installed. Anyone else have this issue?

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to agree with that, if it was bent it would be worn all the way around. I'm thinking more along the line the housing may be a bit out of round, or the way the water pressure passes, it does more wear due to erosion in those areas.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You could be right. Or, maybe the pump isn't centered and the shaft is canted. In any case, its for sure that the shaft and wear ring aren't concentric.

I don't believe water pressure by itself would cause erosion. If it is erosion I would guess its from sandy water.

I had an '03 GTX and that starter wouldn't turn the impeller if there was dried weeds in the intake. I had to be meticulous about cleaning out the weeds when we took the boat out of the water. So, I can see your dilemma.

Last Spring we traded on a 2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser. After owning Doos for over 20 years I didn't know what I was missing. Better performance, faster, less gas, maintenance and winterizing took 1/4 the time, etc., etc.

alldodge

Staff member
Going from an 03 to 15 from Yam, Doo or other is a very large step, any of them perform and handle better. All 4 stroke models are real easy to winterize. I went from a 03 to this 07 and it was a large step

Been getting some comments to my original question from Green Hulk forum

alldodge

Staff member
Issue was solved over at Green Hulk forum. Part of the problem was WSM wear ring, just like other parts OEM is best. Also found issues with the way the ring was wearing. Had .015 to .027 wear in the ring on the sides only, top and bottom were fine.

The end result is I ordered a new OEM housing and wear ring
attachment.php

attachment.php