2004 wave runner 1200 advice

Smroch

Recruit
Greetings all. I'm new here and fairly new to boating overall. I've had small aluminums and have a 10'Livingston at the moment.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 wave runner 1200, the hull looks superb, trailer looks great. He told me the oil chain broke, so I'm guessing its either a rebuild or the new motor. He said probably a $3000 job.

The price seems good , he said ''a couple hundred bucks". The guy is a straight shooter and very trustworth (coworker). What do you think. I'm going to offer $250 I think.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First of all, Welcome to the Forum.

If you are going to do the work yourself, I would go for that especially if it includes a nice galvanized trailer and the rubber is good. You will not get $3250 back out of it if you put that much into an 11 year old wave runner. Most dealers around here will not work on anything that is over 10 years old.

Smroch

Recruit
OK. Hmm, I'm a handy guy, but would be over my head frankly. I think it would be worth the money for the trailer. Possibly donate the wave runner.

The trailer is nice. Thank you guys, may think about buying a newer one then . would like to start fishing in the bays and possibly off shore.

Last edited:

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Normally on the 1200 2 stroke engines the oil injection lines fall off and usually they destroy a cylinder before you catch it. So that is probably what he was talking about. If it has a trailer and a title and you can get it for 250, buy it take it apart and sell all the parts on Craigs list.
You will make money and become familiar with the workings of a p w c. By the way the hulls are pretty weak and therefore if the hull is good someone will certainly be wanting it if it has the title.
Parts on skies are very expensive so you can't go wrong parting it out , Then use the profits from the parts to buy a better ski to use for yourself.

Smroch

Recruit
OK, the guys wife gave me the wrong info. He said its a 2006 vx110 4 stroke. He said he stopped it after the oil light came on and had it towed back in . don't really know if that changes anything. He said the chain broke, not sure if its an oil or a timing chain or what.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Big difference it's a 4 stroke engine if the chain broke that is unusual for that engine, the newer supercharged 1800 engines have a reputation for hatching a timing chain but not the MR1 110 hp engines.
The 110 engines break oil cooler bolts or have the oil filters rust and leak oil, personally I would go back to the part it out routine not the buy it and fix it routine. It all depends on the price. It's 10 years old probably full retail value is between 3000 and 4000 depending on the condition , trailer etc.

Last edited: