ADVISE NEEDED POLARIS SLT 780 REBUILD

DarwinDodge

Cadet
My brother in law has a slt780 pwc that has burned two pistons mag&middle cylinder.
I have been charged with the task of fixing it for him as I maintain most of his equipment.
I have never ever worked on a 2 stroke or a jet ski.
I will be getting a manual for this but I was wondering what advise you guys have?

Break in procedures
problem areas
tips and tricks to improve durability and maybe performance too.
I am up to the task of doing the work I am a diesel tech by trade and have been working on cars and trucks professionally 15 years now.
I specialize in diesel heavy medium duty truck repair but have many interest that have me working on any thing from garden tractors,atv's and know boats.
Thanks in Advance

The first thing is to figure out why the engine got damaged and to make sure you can fix that problem. You certainly don't want to put hundreds of dollars and many hour of labor into doing a rebuild only to have the same problem all over again.

Other than that it should be pretty straightforward as long as you have a factory manual to work from.

DarwinDodge

Cadet
I totally agree I have been doing some reading and plan on checking the bottom end for air leaks and rebuild the carbs.
I know the engine was swapped the last time it was used for some reason the drain plug was either left out or came out the day before
when we got up the next morning it was flooded past the carbs.
we towed it to the ramp got the water drained out removed the plugs soaked the cylinders with wd40 it started we put it back in the water it would idle but anything above that just didn't have any power.
I believe the pistons were already damaged before that though the thing was giving problems all that weekend

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
don't spend a lot of time or money on it without looking up the retail value on N A D A