Making some changes to a Searayder

tech 3

Cadet
Greetings
I bought a 1994 Searayder back in 2013 the boat and the interior are like new
but the motor had it's problems, being a marine tech I decided to take on the project
and rebuild the motor after throwing about 1200 buck at it in parts and machine work
it now has a sweet little 90 horse motor in it although the stock carbs are a pain in the ***.
It is what it is and now has 54 hours on it.
the problem is I never get to use the boat or maybe I just don't want to cause it is very uncomfortable
for me and it rides rough as a cob keep in mind also I am a old man.
So over the long ohio winter I am thinking about making some changes to make the boat more of what I want
in a boat.
First of all I will gut the interior and remove the console and replace it with a SS or alum cage mounted on the center line and make the
seating a tandem style front and back with a forward and rear steering with a stick like a aircraft
with the rear seat higher than the front putting the weight in the center of the boat so it wont list to one side when there is only
one person aboard. some light weight comfortable wrap around buckets will be used for seats
then the power issue
A friend of mine is a old boat racer an is a wiz with doing crazy stuff so I will get him to make me a adapter so I can mount a
merc 135 horse straight 6 on top of the pump that should do the job.
Has any one messed with their sport jet like that and what did you do Thankx Bill.

Last edited:

the-hoss

Cadet
Good Luck with your project. I've heard of Merc 175 being shoe-horned in there.
I believe the 97 model came standard with a 175.
Keep us posted.

tech 3

Cadet
Well after checking everything out I think for this boat to be what I want I am going to loose the jet pump and
put a outboard on it this winter. I will have to split the hull take the top off reinforce the transom and mount a jack plate on it to hold the new motor
has any one done this and how did it turn out
Thankx Bill